Botulinum Toxin Found Helpful in Migraine and Myofascial Pain

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is a review paper - you can get the full paper here;http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6651/7/9/3818

Toxins (Basel). 2015 Sep 23;7(9):3818-3844. Botulinum Toxin Type a as a Therapeutic Agent against Headache and Related Disorders.
Luvisetto S1, Gazerani P2, Cianchetti C3, Pavone F4.
Abstract

Botulinum neurotoxin A (BoNT/A) is a toxin produced by the naturally-occurring Clostridium botulinum that causes botulism. The potential of BoNT/A as a useful medical intervention was discovered by scientists developing a vaccine to protect against botulism. They found that, when injected into a muscle, BoNT/A causes a flaccid paralysis. Following this discovery, BoNT/A has been used for many years in the treatment of conditions of pathological muscle hyperactivity, like dystonias and spasticities.

In parallel, the toxin has become a "glamour" drug due to its power to ward off facial wrinkles, particularly frontal, due to the activity of the mimic muscles. After the discovery that the drug also appeared to have a preventive effect on headache, scientists spent many efforts to study the potentially-therapeutic action of BoNT/A against pain. BoNT/A is effective at reducing pain in a number of disease states, including cervical dystonia, neuropathic pain, lower back pain, spasticity, myofascial pain and bladder pain.

In 2010, regulatory approval for the treatment of chronic migraine with BoNT/A was given, notwithstanding the fact that the mechanism of action is still not completely elucidated. In the present review, we summarize experimental evidence that may help to clarify the mechanisms of action of BoNT/A in relation to the alleviation of headache pain, with particular emphasis on preclinical studies, both in animals and humans. Moreover, we summarize the latest clinical trials that show evidence on headache conditions that may obtain benefits from therapy with BoNT/A.

I can attest to Botox helping with dystonia (blepharospasm), migraines, ME headaches and episodes of left sided atypical facial pain in the eye, ear, jaw and teeth with migraine undertones and occurence. I go for injections every three months and if it is much longer than that the muscle activity and pain intensity ramps up. ENT said to hold off on the Botox into the larynx until I have full closure a couple times a week as it will change the voice. My night-time laryngospasms spread into the day as well with triggers from gerd and others things. I have held off having the larynx injections by preventative measures for the spasms when an episode begins. I also take oral medications for nerve pain. To be clear I have no affiliation with the makers of Botox I am just a consumer with no remuneration. I also don't take medication willy nilly, I research it first. As always what works for some may not work for others.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I can attest to Botox helping with dystonia (blepharospasm), migraines, ME headaches and episodes of left sided atypical facial pain in the eye, ear, jaw and teeth with migraine undertones and occurence. I go for injections every three months and if it is much longer than that the muscle activity and pain intensity ramps up. ENT said to hold off on the Botox into the larynx until I have full closure a couple times a week as it will change the voice. My night-time laryngospasms spread into the day as well with triggers from gerd and others things. I have held off having the larynx injections by preventative measures for the spasms when an episode begins. I also take oral medications for nerve pain. To be clear I have no affiliation with the makers of Botox I am just a consumer with no remuneration. I also don't take medication willy nilly, I research it first. As always what works for some may not work for others.
Thanks for sharing that Sharon. It's incredible that botulinum toxin of all things can help.

Good luck with the throat problems!

I suppose they don't know why your muscles are spasming so much - and during the night as well? They just have symptomatic treatment at this point.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources