'Calcitriol regulates cytokine production'

Remy

Administrator
I found this article that I found quite fascinating...a bit of background, though, many of you know that I think that MECFS is some sort of combination of high intracellular calcium levels which results in malfunctioning mitochondria and then some sort of impaired "clean up" (autophagy) process. The end result is a bunch of dud mitos and then we get inflammatory cytokines on top of it all in response to the cellular debris. And then the whole immune system goes off the rails and infections etc run rampant.

So imagine my surprise to discover that the active form of Vit D, calcitriol, is really much more of an immunomodulatory hormone than it is a vitamin. It can modulate cytokines and lowers intracellular calcium!

From the article:

Cytokine production is known to depend on intracellular calcium ([Ca++]i) [16,17]; moreover, it has also been shown that IL-2 production by T cells is stimulated by a rise in intracellular calcium [18]. Massry and Fadda described that leukocytes of CRF patients and those treated with hemodialysis have elevated basal levels of [Ca++]i, reduced adenosine 5′-triphosphate (ATP) content and impaired phagocytosis [19].

These derangements were related to secondary hyperparathyroidism. These authors also postulated that chronic elevation in [Ca++]i in T cells could interfere with the magnitude of the rise in [Ca++]i in response to stimulation of T cells, thus impairing the production of IL-2.

Since [Ca++]i seems pivotal in regulating cytokines secretion by monocytes from normal subjects and uremic patients, the present study was undertaken in order to establish a direct relationship between in vitro data and clinical effects.

Edie

I found this article that I found quite fascinating...a bit of background, though, many of you know that I think that MECFS is some sort of combination of high intracellular calcium levels which results in malfunctioning mitochondria and then some sort of impaired "clean up" (autophagy) process. The end result is a bunch of dud mitos and then we get inflammatory cytokines on top of it all in response to the cellular debris. And then the whole immune system goes off the rails and infections etc run rampant.

So imagine my surprise to discover that the active form of Vit D, calcitriol, is really much more of an immunomodulatory hormone than it is a vitamin. It can modulate cytokines and lowers intracellular calcium!

From the article:
Hi REMY. Do you think that high intracellular calcium levels could also be caused by low Magnesium levels?

Remy

Administrator
Hi REMY. Do you think that high intracellular calcium levels could also be caused by low Magnesium levels?
Yes, certainly. But it doesn't seem to be fixable by simply supplementing more magnesium for most people unfortunately.

Edie

Yes, certainly. But it doesn't seem to be fixable by simply supplementing more magnesium for most people unfortunately.
I use to be able to tolerate a good amount of magnesium citrate, but now can only take 150 mgs, which I take

before bed. 3months ago I started taking IONIC MAGNESIUM and TRACE MINERALS, which are 100% absorbable

Eating anything with sugar used to burn my stomach, but now that doesn't happen. I haven't added anything new

in the way of supplements except the Ionic minerals They also do not cause loose stools which is a big benefit.

Are the Ionic Minerals healing my stomach? I have FM not ME/CFS. I appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
I use to be able to tolerate a good amount of magnesium citrate, but now can only take 150 mgs, which I take

before bed. 3months ago I started taking IONIC MAGNESIUM and TRACE MINERALS, which are 100% absorbable

Eating anything with sugar used to burn my stomach, but now that doesn't happen. I haven't added anything new

in the way of supplements except the Ionic minerals They also do not cause loose stools which is a big benefit.

Are the Ionic Minerals healing my stomach? I have FM not ME/CFS. I appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
It's always so hard to know what is doing what exactly, isn't it?

I think the best way to tell if something is helping is to stop taking it for 2-3 weeks and see if you notice any difference. This method has whittled down my supplement regime considerably!

Congratulations on your improvements!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources