Can a Ketogenic (Paleo-Plus!) (high-fat) Diet Help ME/CFS or FM?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Courtney Craig just bounced herself out of her first big ME/CFS relapse in years by going on a ketogenic diet. Dr. Wahls is now calling these diets "Paleo-Plus" diets.
She provides three compelling reasons why the diet may work. The first is

Mitochondria
By their very nature as ATP-churning, energy machines, mitochondria produce an enormous quantity of free radicals. These radicals must be “quenched” by antioxidants to reduce the damage to the delicate organelle’s scaffolding. Glutathione, selenium, coQ10, and others play a key role in combating the free radical onslaught.

Mitochondrial dysfunction is widely recognized as a contributor to ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia symptoms. Indeed, many studies have determined that patients have depleted antioxidants, leaving mitochondria particularly vulnerable (2,3).

Ketogenic diets have been found to reduce free radical damage and thereby improve mitochondrial function. Also, ketogenic diets have been found to increase glutathione synthesis--the most important antioxidant for the mitochondria (5). In a recent study, fibroblasts from fibromyalgia patients were found to have decreased mitochondria per cell. When patients were given the metabolic drug metformin and prescribed caloric restriction (a means to achieve ketosis) the fibroblasts showed a more resilient response to free radical damage (4).

Have you ever tried a ketogenic diet?

Who Me?

I do find with a lot of these diets you have to have a working gut. I have IBS-C and that really limits what I can eat.

I don't see specifically what we're supposed to eat? Is there list somewhere that I missed?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I do find with a lot of these diets you have to have a working gut. I have IBS-C and that really limits what I can eat.

I don't see specifically what we're supposed to eat? Is there list somewhere that I missed?
I'll find out more about that.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources