Can Drugs Mimic Exercise?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
For these reasons, drugs mimicking exercise could be beneficial to those who are unable to comply with the practice of physical activity

People with cancer often lose weight and then have trouble exercising. I lost a lot of weight early in ME/CFS.....and some severe patients, of course, are very skinny. Could something similar be going on?

"Even though exercise improves muscle phenotype, most patients retain sedentary habits which are quite difficult to disrupt. Moreover, they frequently present with chronic fatigue and co-morbidities that reduce exercise tolerance."

Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2015 Nov 11. [Epub ahead of print] Novel Investigational Drugs Mimicking Exercise For The Treatment Of Cachexia. Penna F1,2, Pin F1,2, Ballarò R1,2, Baccino FM1, Costelli P1,2.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Cachexia is a syndrome characterized by body weight loss, muscle wasting, and metabolic abnormalities, that frequently complicates the management of people affected by chronic diseases. No effective therapy is actually available, although several drugs are under clinical evaluation. Altered energy metabolism markedly contributes to the pathogenesis of cachexia; it can be improved by exercise, which is able to both induce anabolism and inhibit catabolism. Areas covered: This review focuses on exercise mimetics and their potential inclusion in combined protocols to treat cachexia. The authors pay with particular reference to the cancer-associated cachexia. Expert opinion: Even though exercise improves muscle phenotype, most patients retain sedentary habits which are quite difficult to disrupt. Moreover, they frequently present with chronic fatigue and co-morbidities that reduce exercise tolerance. For these reasons, drugs mimicking exercise could be beneficial to those who are unable to comply with the practice of physical activity. Since some exercise mimetics may exert serious side-effects, further investigations should focus on treatments which maintain their effectiveness on muscle phenotype while remaining tolerable at the same time.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
and there's more in a recent paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26541482

The constellation of fever, anorexia, and fatigue is known as the acute illness response, and represents an adaptive behavioral and physiological reaction to stimuli such as infection. On the other end of the spectrum, cachexia is a deadly and clinically challenging syndrome involving anorexia, fatigue, and muscle wasting. Both of these processes are governed by inflammatory mediators including cytokines, chemokines, and immune cells.

Though the effects of cachexia can be partially explained by direct effects of disease processes on wasting tissues, a growing body of evidence shows the central nervous system (CNS) also plays an essential mechanistic role in cachexia. In the context of inflammatory stress, the hypothalamus integrates signals from peripheral systems, which it translates into neuroendocrine perturbations, altered neuronal signaling, and global metabolic derangements.

Therefore, this review will discuss how hypothalamic inflammation is an essential driver of both the acute illness response and cachexia, and why this organ is uniquely equipped to generate and maintain chronic inflammation. First, the review will focus on the role of the hypothalamus in acute responses to dietary and infectious stimuli. Next, it will discuss the role of cytokines in driving homeostatic disequilibrium, resulting in muscle wasting, anorexia, and weight loss. Finally, it will address mechanisms and mediators of chronic hypothalamic inflammation, including endothelial cells, chemokines, and peripheral leukocytes.

Tina

I also lost a lot of weight in the beginning. I was down to 85lbs from about 96 lbs. The doctors did not make a big deal of this. I tried to tell them that it might only be about 10 pounds, but I it was all muscle loss as I was very fit. I am just over 5 feet so 95 and muscular was good; 85 with nothing to lose but muscle was not. After a whole lot of holistic intervention and about four years of time I was able to get back to 95, but I am unable to gain muscle due to lack of the ability to exercise. :(

This could be helpful. I do feel like my lack of muscle mass make puts my body at a disadvantage.

tatt

I gained weight because I couldnt exercise and I can't shift it. I need to exchange some gut bacteria.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources