Can herpes contribute to cognitive decline?

Remy

Administrator
HSV-2, CMV and Toxoplasma gondii...but not HSV-1.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306175.php?platform=hootsuite

Dr. Nimgaonkar and colleagues say that previous cross-sectional studies (studies that look at data from a single time point) have found a link between exposure to certain viruses and decreased cognitive functioning.
These viruses include: cytomegalovirus (CMV), herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV) and the protozoa Toxoplasma gondii, which many people are familiar as the parasite found in cat feces.

"Our study is one of the few to assess viral exposure and cognitive functioning measures over a period of time in a group of older adults," Dr. Nimgaonkar says.

He adds that it is possible that these viruses "are triggering some neurotoxic effects."

To further investigate, the researchers used the Monongahela-Youghiogheny Healthy Aging Team (MYHAT) study, which involved over 1,000 adults over the age of 65 years who were evaluated annually for 5 years to detect any cognitive change.

After looking for signs of viral exposures in blood samples, the researchers found that exposure to CMV, HSV-2 or toxoplasma is linked with aspects of cognitive decline typically considered to be age-related decline.

Merida

@Remy
Very interesting post. And researchers Flegr et al. Looked at Toxoplasma infection in RhD positive versus Rh D negative individuals. The RhD neg people had significantly more car accidents over a certain time period.

I and my son ( who had CFS/ME at age 5 - following well- Documented EBV infection) are both RhD neg. At one support group meeting - about 15 -17 people, 55 per cent were RhD neg. Would like to post a survey of blood types - too tired right now.

RuthAnn

Many researchers are finding viruses (and other things) in the brains of people with neurological degenerative diseases. Viruses are stealth, even when you are feeling okay they are at work replicating unless you do something about it.

I am afraid we are all on the path to either MS, ALS, PD, or AD unless we correct the underlying issues.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources