Can You Get Tattooed Up if You Have Fibromyalgia?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
FM is a pain disorder and tattooing definitely produces pain. Could a tattoo make things worse? Adrienne Delwho says she got through it OK - with some qualifications - and quite a few people on her Facebook site said it was "no problem".

tattoo.jpg

I got a tattoo years ago, before I had fibromyalgia. While it did hurt, the pain wasn't unbearable. I compare it to having a sharp fingernail or the tines of a fork drag slowly across your skin, hard enough to leave marks.

Beyond the pain, though, is the question of aggravation. My biggest issue was that the pain combined with the vibration and the noise set all of my nerves on edge. I get anxiety attacks and have problems withsensory overload because of my fibromyalgia, and those are the symptoms I'd really worry about if I were to get another tattoo.

Check out more here: http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/...n-I-Get-a-Tattoo-when-I-Have-Fibromyalgia.htm

Who Me?

I've heard tattoos are bad because
Of what's in the ink.

I have 2 from years ago. OUCH!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I've heard tattoos are bad because
Of what's in the ink.

I have 2 from years ago. OUCH!
:)
I would never get a tattoo because of my MCS and worries about the ink and some sort of reaction to that. I imagine it would be fine but I think I'm a generation too late as well - just can't see doing it. They are very popular though...Even my brother has one - a big one - that kind of blew my mind.

Who Me?

Mine are old, predate my being sick. Part of my midlife crisis!

The ink has Mercury in it I think so just not good for us even without MCS.

Helle Plato

If you get your tattoo at a well established parlour, they can inform you of the content of the ink.
I have FM, and have had tattoes dones both before and after getting ill. I found that after years of FM, my body responded quite differently to the increased level of adrenalin that comes along with the pain. Firstly, it hurt more, as if my body "forgot" how to produce endorphines after 30 minutes - secondly I would break out in coldsweat and feel really ill like half a day after ending the session. It only lasted for about a day, but was, (obviously) quite unpleasant. This is the main reason that I wont be having any more tattoes done. However, if anyone with FM out there really dream of having something "important" done, I would advice to limit sessions to 1-2 hours pr sitting, with about a month between each sitting. (Also the advice I got from the tattoist)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources