Canadian Blood Services Agency uses marker to exclude ME/CFS donors

C. Strickland

The Canadian Blood Services Agency (the national agency that collects blood from all donors in Canada) will not accept blood from CFS/ME patients. The agency uses a "marker" to filtre them out.

JennyJenny

The Canadian Blood Services Agency (the national agency that collects blood from all donors in Canada) will not accept blood from CFS/ME patients. The agency uses a "marker" to filtre them out.
Do you have a link to that information. I did try to google and I cannot find it. I can't figure out what "marker" they are using.

Thanks for your help.

C. Strickland

Do you have a link to that information. I did try to google and I cannot find it. I can't figure out what "marker" they are using.

Thanks for your help.
The information came to my husband and I from an employee of the agency. It was news to us as he is coping with ME/CFMS. I would approach the agency directly for further information. They are an agency of Canada's federal government. www.blood.ca

ScottTriGuy

I just called Cdn Blood Services and spoke to a nurse - she did a bit of research, she'd never heard of m.e. but said that if a potential donor said they had m.e. they would be given a 'medical enquiry' for their doctor to complete advising whether it is safe for the donor and recipient.
For CFS she said they are not eligible to donate - but they do not test to for any CFS markers should someone with CFS donate - she said they count on donors to be honest about any diagnosis.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I just called Cdn Blood Services and spoke to a nurse - she did a bit of research, she'd never heard of m.e. but said that if a potential donor said they had m.e. they would be given a 'medical enquiry' for their doctor to complete advising whether it is safe for the donor and recipient.
For CFS she said they are not eligible to donate - but they do not test to for any CFS markers should someone with CFS donate - she said they count on donors to be honest about any diagnosis.
It would have been nice if they had a marker! That would mean they had a biomarker - that would have been something!

C. Strickland

You may well know this but check out mailman.columbia.edu and search for ME/CFS for me it is encouraging

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources