CDC Drops Toolkit In Response to IOM Report

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
The Toolkit was outdated the day it was published in 2011. The IOM report with it's new diagnostics made it even more of an anachronism. A lightweight portrayal of ME/CFS it devoted several sections to CBT and GET and suggested no tests to guide doctors treatments.

Now it's gone....Thank god.
Institute of Medicine committee releases report on ME/CFS
On February 10, 2015, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) Committee on Diagnostic Criteria for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome released a report titled “Beyond Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Redefining an Illness .” The IOM Committee’s work was supported by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office on Women’s Health and other HHS agencies.

The website of the HHS Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee includes the following comment about the IOM committee report: “With their recommendation of a streamlined, yet evidence-based set of diagnostic criteria, the IOM committee has taken a critical step toward assisting medical providers in making a diagnosis for those with this serious and debilitating illness.” The website also states that the HHS agencies are committed to working with partners, stakeholders, experts in the field, and CFSAC to review the report’s recommendations and appropriate next steps.

In 2011, CDC posted the CFS Toolkit on its website to provide an easy-to-use resource for clinical care. During recent months CDC scientists had been working with CFSAC and others to revise the CFS Toolkit. After publication of the IOM committee report, CDC decided to archive the CFS Toolkit and the brochure "Recognition and Management of CFS: A Resource Guide for Health Care Professionals".

Those interested in reviewing the CFS Toolkit kit in its entirety can view the document here [PDF - 17 pages], and the archived brochure is available here [PDF - 3 pages].

JennyJenny

I think that patients fighting back has worked. Blogs such as yours and two documentaries were going to shine light on what is going on.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources