CDP Choline may Help with Histamine and Alzheimers

Issie

This is somewhat confusing to me. Huperzine A seemed to increase my mast cell issues considerably. Anyone have any ideas? @Remy

Issie

Remy

Administrator
This is somewhat confusing to me. Huperzine A seemed to increase my mast cell issues considerably. Anyone have any ideas? @Remy

Issie
Acetylcholine does seem to influence mast cell degranulation, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1279398/, and Huperzine A is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (net result is more acetylcholine).

But I'm sure that is a complicated relationship too...because I took it with MCAS without issue. No help, but no issues. You might just simply be allergic to it.

Issie

I thought this was interesting.

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/histamine/articles/q&a-joneja.html

Question:

I heard that Phosphatidylcholine has the capacity to mop up histamine but I wanted to check with the experts to make sure.
Can you tell me if it does wipe out histamine in a crisis and if it is safe to take long term? If so, what should be the dosage?

Dr Joneja says:

Phosphatidylcholines are a group of phospholipids (lipids, or fats, that contain phosphate) and are essential components of cell membranes. Lecithin is probably the most well-known. We obtain it from our diet. Lecithin is especially rich in foods such as egg yolk, soya beans, other legumes, wheat germ, fish, and meat, especially organ meats. Supplemental phosphatidylcholine has been suggested as a support for increasing brain function, retarding aging, improving skin, and several other conditions. It is hoped, that by increasing the body's supply of phosphatidylcholine (PC), cell structure will be improved. More recently, research has been investigating the role of PC in inflammatory bowel disease, specifically, ulcerative colitis (UC). Usually PC acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in the digestive tract, protecting the surface from invasion by micro-organisms in the area. However, people with UC tend to have lower than normal levels of PC in the mucus secretions, and thus are unprotected. Hence, they develop the inflammation that causes the disease.

So here is the misconception: an anti-inflammatory agent is not necessarily an antihistamine. Although inflammation does involve high levels of histamine, not all inflammation is primarily caused by high histamine levels. In the case of UC, supplemental PC protects the bowel by suppressing some inflammatory agents (for example, TNF-alpha – a pro-inflammatory cytokine) and enhancing the structure of the cell membrane so that it is not vulnerable to the effects of others.

So, in summary, anti-inflammatory agents such as PC act by a variety of mechanisms that suppress inflammatory agents, or protect cells from them.
Histamine is an inflammatory mediator in many types of inflammation, but PC will not act as an antihistamine. Antihistamines prevent histamine from entering the cell, by blocking the receptor that allows histamine access (you can find details of this activity in several of my articles). PC does not have this capability. So – no – phosphatidylcholine will not 'mop up histamine'.

Issie

You might just simply be allergic to it.
Maybe that's it. I thought I read that someone else had a issue with it too.
http://brainmeta.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22286
Apparently an increase in histamine is necessary to help the brain with memory. Maybe that was what I was thinking about and if choline helps brain function --- does it increase histamine to do it?????
I do better with CDP Choline but not good with Huperzine A. Maybe it builds up too high with me. I did find where Huperzine can cause PTSD symptoms in some. That could definitely feel like a MCAS "attack" as the feelings of anxiety, fear and unrest are very similar.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v393/n6683/full/393373a0.html

Paw

This article indicates that an over abundance even of choline RI h foods could cause issues the platelet function and null aspirin affect.
Whew. So much to consider. This might be related to my problems with choline, who knows. I love a rich omelette breakfast but it raises my blood pressure and knocks me out. But that could be the fried potatoes on the side.

Interesting tidbit: lecithin is commonly used as a cannabinoid releasing agent when cooking medical edibles.

If you're interested in more experimenting, you might try galantamine. I liked it but ran out, so now I'm using huperzine instead.

Issie

Thanks to Lisa, I figured out my blood pressure hikes are mast cell related. I was about to go on medicine for it. Figured out to take more GastroCrom or liquid children's allergy med.
http://www.mastattack.org/2017/06/m...ide-understanding-mast-cell-diseases-part-32/

Since I have a positive Lupus Anticoagulant for APS and trying to thin my blood, not make it more sticky. Just going to hope I get enough choline with my food and give up supplementing it. Don't need to make that worse with possible over amounts of choline. Will see how that goes. Trying to "fix" one thing to possibly create another thing. Can be done with medicine or our alternative stuff. You have to know what you are doing and sometimes you learn more and get surprises.
Issie

Issie

I was never able to use any firm of lecthin. Just didn't tolerate it. Hmmmmmm, listen to your body.
Issie

Issie

Oh, and most of the liposomal things are sunflower or soy lecthin. That may be why I couldnt do any of those either.
Issie

Issie

@Paw you may consider a solane intolerance to potatoes. http://www.allergiesexplained.com/pages/Potato Allergy and Intolerance.htm
I figured out I'm having issues with them. They cause more pain. Also issues with all the night shades. And I crave them. More sign of an allergic issue.
There is a supplement from Supreme Nutrition that can be used if sensitive to potatoes. But one exposure can take a month or more to eliminate the effects.
I'll post that link later.
Issie

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources