CFS/ ME can’t straight leg raise?

ponypanic

Hi
So just a bit of background , 6 m method ago i was for and well, active, working, holidays hobbies and interest, then
Had what I thought was onset of flu and have not recovered, I am mostly housebound, have shortness of breath on slightest exertion, even dressing/ tinnitus/ brain fog/ trembling limbs , headaches, back pain etc etc
I’ve applied for PIP and learnt that part of the test was straight leg raises , so I thought I would test myself
I can’t do it! I can’t lift my legs up when laid straight, I can bend my knees , but I can’t lift up my legs , the most I got was 3 inches, my leg start to shake and feels heavy , and then I get short of breath
I do get back pain but it’s intermittent, occasional sciatica is all.
Has anyone experienced this ?
Feeling a bit freaked out
Thankyou in advance

Apo Sci

Sounds like tight hamstrings, which are common due to inactivity. A positive SLR test has shooting pain down the leg and indicates nerve entrapment. Try stretching them and talk to an OCS certified physical therapist.

Tammy7

You mean from a sitting or lying position where your legs are straight out in front of you? If this is what you mean, I am barely able to raise.

Apo Sci

Here's how it is done. You have to have shooting pain for it to be positive, otherwise it's tight hamstrings.

ponypanic

You mean from a sitting or lying position where your legs are straight out in front of you? If this is what you mean, I am barely able to raise.
Yes , when sitting I can’t do it and when lying flat , wondered if this is yet another symptom of CFS/ME

Apo Sci

Sounds like a PT would have to differentiate between muscle weakness and tightness. If muscles are tight you won' t be able to stretch them much when they are relaxed. If you can resist midway then the muscles aren't weak.

ponypanic

Yes , when sitting I can’t do it and when lying flat , wondered if this is yet another symptom of CFS/ME
Actually I’m wondering if it’s through my lack of mobility , wether it’s causing muscle weakness, though I’m having a problem with the motivation part. Like asking my legs to raise isn’t really connecting if you know what I mean.

ponypanic

Sounds like tight hamstrings, which are common due to inactivity. A positive SLR test has shooting pain down the leg and indicates nerve entrapment. Try stretching them and talk to an OCS certified physical therapist.
Thankyou the inactivity is a problem, I’ll talk to my physio on how I can get round this without over exerting myself! Urgh I can’t do a lot now and my energy will be taken up with just trying to maintain muscles
This illness sucks!

Tammy7

I think my problem not being able to raise the legs is due to what I refer to as neurological fatigue which includes muscle weakness, feeling of heaviness, etc. I believe this is due to inflammation of the CNS from a virus. (In my case EBV)

ponypanic

Are you able to walk, even if not far? I can walk and I can bend knees but can’t do straight leg raises

jaminhealth

Are you able to walk, even if not far? I can walk and I can bend knees but can’t do straight leg raises

In my life it's not a FM/CFS symptom. I deal with bodywide arthritis and just came off a staph infection in my knee, long mess, and the hosptial finally found the infection, went thru 2.5 months of abx IV and t hen the surgeon did a knee clean out. This messed me up so much. I work every day straightening my stiff knee and if you really can't do that, get some PT to get it going. What helps me a lot to keep it "looser" is Topricin for Pain as it's homeopathic and gets to the root of the issues we have.

Tammy7

Yes I can walk and bend knees. It's strange............some of my leg muscles aren't as affected as others? For instance it's very hard for me to get up from the floor due to muscle weakness or climb stairs........but muscles used for walking seem OK.

jaminhealth

Yes I can walk and bend knees. It's strange............some of my leg muscles aren't as affected as others? For instance it's very hard for me to get up from the floor due to muscle weakness or climb stairs........but muscles used for walking seem OK.

Getting some specific PT work can strengthen the muscles. I've been that route, believe me. I didn't walk for over 2.5 months due to the horrid infection that was left unfound by the docs...

Tammy7

Getting some specific PT work can strengthen the muscles. I've been that route, believe me. I didn't walk for over 2.5 months due to the horrid infection that was left unfound by the docs...
Any kind of strengthening excercises including PT never worked for me, unfortunately

Last edited:

Apo Sci

Any kind of strengthening excercises including PT never worked for me, unfortunately

Usually I could manage two sets of about 8-12 reps followed by a long three day recovery period when I did PT. Improvement didn't go beyond that due to the ME.

ponypanic

That’s similar to me , getting off floor and I can walk upstairs but it’s difficult as my legs feel so heavy, feel like I’m walking through snow. My husband tickled my foot the other day and my leg started shaking for about 5 seconds, this makes me think it must be nerve related !

Apo Sci

That’s similar to me , getting off floor and I can walk upstairs but it’s difficult as my legs feel so heavy, feel like I’m walking through snow. My husband tickled my foot the other day and my leg started shaking for about 5 seconds, this makes me think it must be nerve related !

Do you have muscle twitching still occurring? If the viruses haven't reached the total inhibition point then it could be fighting them by killing infected nerves which would leave muscles understimulated and twitchy. It depends on the blood nagalase level. Once it reaches threshold the body can't defend and you go downhill.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources