CFS realistically portrayed in comedy show

bobby

Last week I saw an episode of the comedy tv show The Middle (S7E21 The Lanai). So basically one of the main characters (Sue) got a great room in the dorm lottery for next year, close to everything. But little did she know, the girl who was living there this year had chronic fatigue syndrome, and was dreading having to move to a far away dorm room cause she didn't have luck in the dorm lottery. So Sue decides to give her great lottery slot to the sick girl, so she can stay in the good room.

When I heard them mention CFS, I automatically cringed, expecting blatantly wrong information and mockery, as we usually get. But it was really ok! It's a comedy show, so they had to keep it funny: 'ok, I have to go brush the second half of my teeth now'. 'Oh no, today is conditioner day, she's always extra spent then!' Pretty realistic, right?

Then later in the show the girl sees the CFS girl playing volleyball! *cringe* So she goes back to the girl's room later and starts attacking her cause she's obviously a faker, calling her names. But turns out she has an identical twin sister (the volleyball player). *awkward* They made it very obvious that everyone was really shocked that she was so mean to an obviously very sick person.

I thought that was pretty good! And pretty realistic. I think we've come a long way...

GG

I was playing Volleyball while ill, snowboarding is easy, I get to rest on the ride up!

I can ride a bicycle pretty well, been suffering 13 years! I think I am an anomaly of an anomaly :(

Did the CPET testing done a few years ago. I function at 60% of a person my age etc..

I still enjoy a bike ride, even though it causes me pain and exhaustion! I gain weight to easily, one of the reasons I do it, and I have been riding my bicycle good distances since a young teen!

GG

bobby

@GG Thing is, people shouldn't judge! it's not cause you can ride a bike that you're not sick. especially with an illness that can go really up and down. Or the brave face you can put up when around people, only to crash horribly when you're out of sight - usually a very calculated effort that goes unseen by the untrained eye.people should just believe us when we say we're very sick. Period. :cool:

Who Me?

I went out last night to a Home Owners Association meeting. Most of my neighbors do not know I'm sick. I looked fine, participated.

Today I am plastered to the sofa, barely able to move or function. Reaching for the remote is too much for me today, riding a bike never. I'm not sure how long this will last @bobby is exactly right

Or the brave face you can put up when around people, only to crash horribly when you're out of sight - usually a very calculated effort that goes unseen by the untrained eye.people should just believe us when we say we're very sick. Period. :cool:

GG

@GG Thing is, people shouldn't judge! it's not cause you can ride a bike that you're not sick. especially with an illness that can go really up and down. Or the brave face you can put up when around people, only to crash horribly when you're out of sight - usually a very calculated effort that goes unseen by the untrained eye.people should just believe us when we say we're very sick. Period. :cool:

yeah, people shouldn't judge, but that is human instinct, we wouldn't be around if we didn't make snap decisions, and some of us are not around anymore!

My face is not brave today, it's bitchy which doesn't look good on a guy :)

GG

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources