1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Changing Hearts and Minds: A Review of Unrest

Discussion in 'Advocacy, Contests and Events' started by Cort, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

Awarding-winning Documentary

Unrest is about to spring into action. Scheduled to go into widespread theatrical release in dozens of theaters over the next couple of months: on Sept 22nd in the U.S. and Oct. in the U.K., Unrest is about to really make its mark.

Jen Brea and her collaborators did their work well. Unrest has won a slew of awards including the Special Jury prize at the Sundance Film Festival, two awards at the Sheffield International Documentary Festival, the Audience Choice award at the Riverrun Festival, the Grand Jury Prize award at the Nashville Film Festival, and the Grand Jury award at the Indie Street Film Festival. It has also gotten excellent reviews.

Indiewire noted the "striking degree of emotional authenticity" found in the film, the Hollywood Reporter called it affecting, Variety called it "consistently involving". Every review I read noted the sheer difficulty ME/CFS patients face given the neglect this disease has endured. Ending that neglect, of course, is the reason Jen Brea created this film (and the ME Action website).

Unrest is more than just a movie for Jen; she credits it with saving her life by giving it meaning and value even as she, formerly a Harvard graduate student, was relegated to a wheelchair and at times not even that.

Now may it save others lives as well. My guess is that when all is said and done, it will. Waiting, an ME/CFS patient, got the chance to see the film in May of this year; she called it an unadulterated success for the ME/CFS community. Check out her review below.

Check out the Trailer

Find an Unrest Showing

From Laemmle's Playhouse in the U.S. (Sept 29-Oct , to the IFC Center in Greenwich Village (Sept 22nd - 28th), to a free screening put on by the Bergen ME/CFS Support Group on Oct 15th, Unrest is playing across the country.

Use the film's spectacularly easy screening finder to find a showing near you and spread the word.

Host a Screening - You, too, can host a screening. Find out how here.

More Reviews

Jenny Spotila - Unrest: Movie Review

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. The irony is many of us, myself included are far too ill to go to a theater to see the film. When I FB messaged them to inquire about when folks would be able to purchase a copy I got no straight answer as to if or when and then some comment that for one to pre-pay for an eventual copy wouldn't be 'fair' to the original investors. What the heck? Not that I don't think the movie wouldn't be good or beneficial for people to see it left me a bit confused. It's great that the project gave her encouragement to keep on keepin' on as it were, but also the fact that she is able to travel, promote the movie, give interviews I
    think also is confusing to folks. Still, it's great when there is any progress in understanding ME/CFS and it's sufferers it's a good thing.

Abrin, Lissa, Maypop and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cort

It is ironic indeed that there's no way for the sicker among us to see it now but I think it will be coming to Netflix or something? I thought I heard that.

I imagine that Jen has to watch her energy very carefully. I heard that she's better than she was but I think she's still in a wheelchair. I just hope she doesn't trigger a major relapse with too much activity. So hard to know when you go too too far.

Lissa and Maypop like this.
  4. CJB

CJB Well-Known Member

I believe it's going to air on PBS. Wouldn't be surprised to see it on iTunes at some point.

Lissa and Tammy7 like this.
  5. Cort

PBS - nice!

6. joyce.swing

joyce.swing New Member

I remember "I remember me." and the hope and excitement surrounding it.
    It is available on Amazon Prime.

Lissa and Cort like this.
  7. Kathy Bungard

Kathy Bungard Member

I read that it is going to air on PBS' Independent Lens, but not till next year.

Lissa likes this.
  8. JenB

JenB New Member

Hi Stephanie! I don't know when or where you asked or who replied but first I'd say, it's *exceedingly* difficult for us to keep up with Facebook comments and Twitter @replies. The only way to get a considered response from me or my team is to contact us via our website: https://www.unrest.film/contact. I don't know when you asked but we had no precise dates to give for a very long time because we were still working out all of these plans, but have had estimated dates for when the film would be ready and in what formats in the FAQ on our website (no longer there since today's relaunch) as well as a detailed explanation as to why we are following a traditional film release model while also trying where possible to hack the format: https://www.facebook.com/notes/unrest/unrest-launch-update/915350408602693/

I'm still quite sick, am wheelchair bound, and get around because I have a husband who literally carries me. But I am much better than I was when we were shooting the film due to a good response to antivirals and mestinon. To patients who are more severe than I am, it can be confusing that I can do as much as I can. To patients who are mildly affected, they worry that my severity obscures their experience. The concerns come from all sides and I get it, we all want to see our experiences represented. The disease is a spectrum and I try my best in all moments to convey that and help audiences to see and understand all those who can't be there in the room, as well as all those in the room you would never know from simply looking are profoundly sick.

We are going to be doing several virtual screenings in connection to the theatrical launch for patients who can't make it to theaters (living within in a 100 mile radius of theatrical screenings), and many more non-geographically bound virtual screening events with Q&As, panels, and group discussion in the months to come. More on all that coming soon!

We move as fast as we can with all communication. The din and blur and insanity of this moment is hard to describe. It's a lot and we are pushing ourselves – me and my entire team – just as hard and as far as we possibly can. Bear with us.

edawg81, starsister, Anomie and 6 others like this.
  9. Cort

Thanks Jen for taking the time to post. It's much appreciated during what must be a really intense time.

A supportive spouse goes a long way!

I'm glad to hear that Mestinon is helping...How about that! (you never know).)

Let us know how we can help :)

Lissa and MollyM like this.
  10. Thank you SO much for responding Jen, and with the website explanation for when we will be able to see the movie. I had sent a private FB message to your site and it's good to get this update. I can only spend a few minutes on the computer each day, but I can watch TV for much longer so being able to see it on PBS will be the best option for me. Even watching YouTube doesn't work for a lot of us because we're so sensitive to anything 'electronic'. And being able to eventually purchase copies of the movies to give to family and friends will be wonderful. At last count I've bought 10 copies of Forgotten Plague and it helped my family to REALLY understand the symptoms of this disease and the daily struggle. And I'm sure yours will be equally helpful. Thanks so much!

Lissa and MollyM like this.
  11. Lissa

Lissa Well-Known Member

Hi @JenB ! My husband and I are avid supporters of your endeavors --- we can't wait to get our copy of Unrest when the time comes for the Kickstarter rewards to roll out. Woohoo!!

I saw that it's coming to Boston in October and was hoping maybe we could make it. It would be amazing to get a chance to watch it with fellow PWME.

Please do post here and let us all know about virtual screenings if/when they become available!
    Thank you Jen & Omar -- for all you've done to make it happen!

MollyM likes this.
  12. Lissa

Lissa Well-Known Member

Next year is coming soon! :)

IrisRV and MollyM like this.
  13. Cort

Excellent interview with Jen here on her battle with ME/CFS and Unrest

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/09/170256/unrest-movie-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-woman

I think she is entirely right. There's a reason that ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, migraine and other primarily women's disorders are getting paltry funding. I'm glad NOW is advocating for ME/CFS. I hope they will advocate for this entire branch of primarily women's disorders which the NIH is basically ignoring.

We so need able-bodied support and compared to other diseases we are not getting it.

Luise, waiting, Lissa and 1 other person like this.
  14. Abrin

Abrin Well-Known Member

I am over-excited and can't wait to get my hands on a DVD of this movie to see it.

I mean, I know I have to wait and it will come in time....but I am really excited. :)

MollyM and Lissa like this.
  15. Thist is a really wonderful film truly giving the patients point of view and not just the walking patients but the really really sick stuck in bed patients. So so helpful in getting those who have never even imagined such an illness get to understand just a little bit. I am a carer and I have found that those friends who have seen this movie now get it why I am so anxious and why everyone associated with this wretched illness is traumatised.
    Thank you for making this movie it will really help us all.

MollyM, Lissa and CJB like this.
  16. Cort

Unrest Virtual Screening Tickets Available

UNREST virtual screening tickets are now available!

Link to purchase via Eventbrite: http://see.unrest.film/showtimes/

These select virtual screenings are intended to make the film accessible to folks who can't travel and/or experience UNREST in theaters. To purchase, you must live within 100 miles of our theatrical cities: New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle.

There is limited space so tickets are first come, first served!

[​IMG]

MollyM likes this.
  17. Cort

From MEAction

We are excited to announce to all of our #MEAction organizers and supporters that our #TimeforUnrest campaign launches today! This official launch means the www.timeforunrest.org webpage is live, with action and advocacy opportunities, including petitions, pledges for medical professionals, screening resources and more!

The Unrest Team needs YOUR help to take over social media with our #TimeforUnrest hashtag, your ME story and why it’s #TimeforUnrest!

TODAY and throughout our campaign this fall, we're asking for your help to do the following:

1) Tell us why it's #TimeForUnrest

There are so many ways to engage with #TimeForUnrest on social media:

• Share your personal story and write about why it’s time for unrest.
    • Post a picture of yourself holding the It's #TimeforUnrest because... sign and use the #TimeforUnrest hashtag on Facebook and Twitter. Encourage your friends and family to do the same!
    • Post a video of your #TimeForUnrest story on YouTube
    • And much more! Get creative.
    • Nothing has more power to change hearts and minds than a personal appeal.

(On the bottom Unrest social press kit, you will find a download link to a printable prompt that says It’s #TimeforUnrest because…)

2) Spread the word on social media
    Visit Unrest’s social press kit, where you will find sample Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts. All you have to do is press “post to timeline” or “tweet." You can also personalize the posts!

3) Tell a friend

Unrest is in theaters starting tomorrow, Friday 9/22! Come out to see us and ask your friends and family to join. If they don’t live in one of our theatrical cities, encourage them to attend a community screening or host their own! Also check out our select, virtual screenings for homebound audiences with 100 miles of a theatrical screening. All screenings are listed on Unrest’s showtimes page.

And don’t forget to include the #TimeforUnrest hashtag on all posts!

Together, we can take the internet by storm to tell the world why it’s TIME FOR UNREST!

The Unrest team

MollyM likes this.
  18. Bottsie

Bottsie Member

Yes...PBS will air it January 8, 2018 at 10:00 pm EST. I have it memorized...lol I don't do i-tunes, but I think I saw that it will be available there sometime in October. I want to say the 10th, but not sure. Can't wait to see it!!

CJB and Lissa like this.
  19. Cort

Someone who couldn't get her comment in wanted me to add it regarding people too ill to see it.

MollyM, Lissa and CJB like this.
  20. Cort

Lauren Hillenbrand actually gave a plug for Unrest. It's pretty unusual for our most well known ME/CFS patient to speak out about ME/CFS in between her books

Lissa likes this.