Cheese can improve the microbiome!

Remy

Administrator
As the data from the scientists urine and feces analyses shows, the cheese diet significantly reduced the urinary citrate, creatine, and creatinine levels and significantly increased the microbiota-related metabolites butyrate, hippurate, and malonate compared to the milk diet. Overall, the study shows...
"[...] that cheese consumption is associated with an increased level of SCFAs in the gut, possibly induced by stimulation of beneficial gut microbiota, as well as an increased extent of lipid excretion with resultant beneficial effects on cholesterol metabolism"(Zheng. 2015 | my emphasis).​

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/07/cheese-your-health-cvd-cancer-metabolic.html?m=1

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Darn if I could just handle dairy but I'm not so surprised since it is a fermented food. I wonder if beer and wine is good for gut bacteria as well?

Lissa

Hey @Cort .... any chance you've tried goat or sheep dairy? I've found that I can eat goat cheese. It's cow dairy that really messes me up. I think it's because of the amount/type of caseine - not necessarily the lactose.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Hey @Cort .... any chance you've tried goat or sheep dairy? I've found that I can eat goat cheese. It's cow dairy that really messes me up. I think it's because of the amount/type of caseine - not necessarily the lactose.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Have you tried goat yogurt by any chance?

Lissa

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Have you tried goat yogurt by any chance?

Actually yes -- I've made my own goat yogurt. It is relatively simple and tastes good too. (Better than store bought I think...) I prefer a creamy yogurt, so sometimes I add some tapioca starch to the recipe to thicken it. I go in phases of eating it / not eating it for whatever reason. More attuned to cravings than any particular reasoning.

There used to be a brand of buffalo yogurt that was delicious -- very thick and creamy. It was made in VT, but then the guy moved his farm to Canada --- so the buffalo are gone and the stores here don't carry it any more. HUGE bummer. That was the BEST! (And wonderful to not have to use any energy to make it myself...)

I haven't made yogurt in a while. But I was craving it so I have been eating some of the "SO Delicious" brand coconut milk yogurt. Probably more sugar than I should eat, but they are pretty good.

And back to the cheese thread.... ha haaaa.... I'm lucky to be in VT -- LOTS of artisan cheeses all over the place here. All kinds of goat cheddars, goudas, chevre, plus sheep cheeses like Manchego are great if you like something more sharp.

I've also learned that although traditionally Feta is a sheep cheese, most brands from the grocery store are now made with cow's milk. Worth checking labels!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources