Chia Finds Enterovirus in Stomach Biopsies of ME/CFS and/or Acid Reflux Patients

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Dr. Chia found more evidence of enterovirus infection in the stomach tissues of people with ME/CFS and in people with acid reflux.
After decades of research, functional dyspepsia (FD) remains one of the most elusive gastrointes-tinal disorders. Endoscopic appearance of mild inflammation of the gastric mucosa without ulce-ration and microscopic evidence of mild chronic inflammation are often considered as normal findings since no etiology could be found other than H. pylori. Enteroviruses infect the gastrointes-tinal tract and have been shown to persist in the stomach of symptomatic patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). In this study, we evaluated FD patients with and without the diagnosis of ME/CFS, and were able to support the viral protein staining with finding of double-stranded RNA in 63% of the same stomach biopsies by immunoperoxidase staining. Furthermore, we clarified the possible cross-reaction with creatine kinase brain subtype (CKB), present in parietal cells, using antibody competition experiments and western blot analysis of stomach proteins. Viral protein+ and dsRNA+ biopsies were infectious in SCID mice. More re-search is needed to elucidate the mechanism of enterovirus infection of the stomach associated with FD and chronic gastritis.

As with his other samples he's found little evidence of inflammation. Inflammation is also rarely found in irritable bowel syndrome.

The fact that Chia found both RNA and protein suggested to him that the virus was replicating.

Chia is suggesting that the virus is causing acid reflux in those patients and ME/CFS in those patients and sometimes both. It's possible that the virus has spread to different areas of the body in the different groups.

Taken together, these findings suggest that persistence of viral genome in the stomach tissue is in the form of dsRNA, and that expression of enteroviral protein by the infected cells is consistent with persistent infectionwithout lysis of cells. One obvious question emerges with these observations is why the infected cells failed toundergo apoptosis in the presence of intracellular viral dsRNA [19]. Future experiments will need to explore themechanism of viral persistence, which has been demonstrated in muscle, heart and brain of animal and in human[20]. Although the 5’ highly-conserved nucleotide sequences of enteroviruses were found and published [10],successful sequencing of complete viral RNA genome found in the stomach biopsies will provide even strongerevidence for persistent enterovirus infection and further elucidate the mechanism of viral persistence withoutapoptosis.

Folk

I'm trying to understand how huge is this.

Are we talking about new findings of Dr. Chia or the same one he's being trying to validate for years?!

I remember reading one of your articles where his samples were finally being taken serious and being evaluated. Is this what it is? And so, apperantly he was correct?

Sorry I'm still reading the full paper, but got kind of excited :|

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I don't know how huge it is. It sounds like it's good news :)

Chia appears to have taken care of the doubts concerning whether his probe was picking something else up. He's also validated his prior findings in a bit set of ME/CFS patients - that's good. Until someone else tackles his hypothesis it's going to remain very "local" though. The CDC is looking at his samples - a positive result there I would guess could be huge.

My guess is that he thinks enteroviral infections are causing problems in a bunch of "functional" disorders like ME/CFS where you don't see tissue inflammation.

I sent him some questions about his work - hopefully he'll answer..:)

B80d

Chia finds enteroviruses and prudent finds HSV....I would love to know if chia has looked for HSV and vice-versa...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources