Chronic Lyme Disease - Is it Really Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This study suggests that chronic Lyme disease is simply a of post-bacterial infection ME/CFS. ME/CFS can be triggered by many pathogens - one of which is post-Lyme disease syndrome - a situation in which no trace of Lyme disease is found but the afflicted appear very similar to ME/CFS patients.

I believe Patrick is the Canadian Researcher who recently got a NIH grant to study the effects of exercise on ME/CFS

The Lyme/ME/CFS saga continues....

2015 Jun 16. pii: civ470. [Epub ahead of print] Lyme Disease Diagnosed by Alternative Methods: A Common Phenotype with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Patrick DM1, Miller RR2, Gardy JL1, Parker SM3, Morshed MG4, Steiner TS5, Singer J6, Shojania K5, Tang P4; Complex Chronic Disease Study Group.

Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Jun 16. pii: civ470. [Epub ahead of print] Lyme Disease Diagnosed by Alternative Methods: A Common Phenotype with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Patrick DM1, Miller RR2, Gardy JL1, Parker SM3, Morshed MG4, Steiner TS5, Singer J6, Shojania K5, Tang P4; Complex Chronic Disease Study Group. Collaborators (16) Author information
BACKGROUND:

 A subset of patients reporting a diagnosis of Lyme disease can be described as having alternatively diagnosed chronic Lyme syndrome (ADCLS), in which diagnosis is on the basis of laboratory results from a non-reference Lyme specialty laboratory using in-house criteria. ADCLS patients report similar symptoms to patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
METHODS:

 We performed a case-control study comparing patients with ADCLS and CFS to each other and to both healthy controls and controls with the chronic disease systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Subjects completed a history, physical exam, screening laboratory tests, seven functional scales, reference serology for Lyme disease using CDC criteria, reference serology for other tick-associated pathogens, and cytokine expression studies.
RESULTS:

 The study enrolled 13 cases with ADCLS, 12 of whom were diagnosed by one alternative US laboratory, 25 CFS cases, 25 matched healthy controls, and 11 SLE controls. Baseline clinical data and functional scales indicate significant disability among ADCLS and CFS cases and many important differences between these groups and controls, but no significant differences between each other. No ADCLS patient was confirmed as having positive Lyme serology by reference laboratory testing and there was no difference in distribution of positive serology for other tick-transmitted pathogens or cytokine expression across the groups.
INTERPRETATION:

 In British Columbia, a setting with low Lyme disease incidence, ADCLS patients have a similar phenotype to CFS patients. Disagreement between alternative and reference laboratory Lyme testing results in this setting is most likely explained by false positive results from the alternative laboratory.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26082507
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26082507

sue la-la

regarding this scientific study:

the authors' distinction between "alternatively diagnosed chronic Lyme disease (ADCLD)" and "chronic Lyme disease (CLD)" is problematic. many Lyme experts believe the USA CDC criteria is faulty - that it excludes many people with active Lyme disease. many experts and some countries (Brazil, China) consider that a single positive test on a high-specificity band of the test, proves an active infection. this belief is supported by scientific studies.

also, the phrase "post Lyme Disease syndrome" is problematic - the people who coined this phrase assume that a Lyme infection ALWAYS vanishes in a short time, with or without treatment - when there are hundreds of scientific studies showing that an active infection can persist for life.

it's interesting what happens, when vested interests try to relabel the truth about an emerging disease.

- - - - - - - -

separately - the distinction between ME/CFS and Lyme is a bit chicken-or-the-egg.

Dr Kenny De Meirleir believes that ME/CFS and chronic Lyme disease are SYMPTOMATICALLY identical.

anecdotally, some doctors believe that treating the ME/CFS and restoring immune function allows the body to successfully control the Lyme infection. other doctors believe that treating the Lyme infection will resolve the ME/CFS symptoms.

most countries have up to 5% of their population carrying a DORMANT Lyme infection - being kept under control by the immune system.

it's possible that someone can be infected with Lyme, and have it completely under control, until other life events (a different infection, a trauma, etc) trigger ME/CFS and immune dysfunction, which allows the Lyme to become active again. or vice versa, that the immune suppression of Lyme disease contributes to the onset of ME/CFS. or that someone could have chronic Lyme disease WITHOUT having ME/CFS.

until we have a better understanding of ME/CFS and the underlying triggers infections and processes, it's impossible to know the full relationship between Lyme and ME/CFS.

(disclaimer - I'm not a Lyme expert - but I do believe there are many unanswered questions)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
regarding this scientific study:

the authors' distinction between "alternatively diagnosed chronic Lyme disease (ADCLD)" and "chronic Lyme disease (CLD)" is problematic. many Lyme experts believe the USA CDC criteria is faulty - that it excludes many people with active Lyme disease. many experts and some countries (Brazil, China) consider that a single positive test on a high-specificity band of the test, proves an active infection. this belief is supported by scientific studies.

also, the phrase "post Lyme Disease syndrome" is problematic - the people who coined this phrase assume that a Lyme infection ALWAYS vanishes in a short time, with or without treatment - when there are hundreds of scientific studies showing that an active infection can persist for life.

it's interesting what happens, when vested interests try to relabel the truth about an emerging disease.

- - - - - - - -

separately - the distinction between ME/CFS and Lyme is a bit chicken-or-the-egg.

Dr Kenny De Meirleir believes that ME/CFS and chronic Lyme disease are SYMPTOMATICALLY identical.

anecdotally, some doctors believe that treating the ME/CFS and restoring immune function allows the body to successfully control the Lyme infection. other doctors believe that treating the Lyme infection will resolve the ME/CFS symptoms.

most countries have up to 5% of their population carrying a DORMANT Lyme infection - being kept under control by the immune system.

it's possible that someone can be infected with Lyme, and have it completely under control, until other life events (a different infection, a trauma, etc) trigger ME/CFS and immune dysfunction, which allows the Lyme to become active again. or vice versa, that the immune suppression of Lyme disease contributes to the onset of ME/CFS. or that someone could have chronic Lyme disease WITHOUT having ME/CFS.

until we have a better understanding of ME/CFS and the underlying triggers infections and processes, it's impossible to know the full relationship between I Lyme and ME/CFS.

(disclaimer - I'm not a Lyme expert - but I do believe there are many unanswered questions)

I agree - many, many unanswered questions

Issie

Lyme disease and co-infection with another protozoa FL1953 (Protomyxzoa Rheumatica) here. Treatment of it has been one of the best things I've done. The treatments mostly will address the immune system and breakdown of biofilms that virus, bacteria and protozoa live in. Whatever is housed and protected in the biofilm - if exposed by breakdown and proper identification of the autoimmune system will cause at least some elimination of them. It's not known if it can totally be eradicated - but, it can be controlled better. Some people have it and never have symptoms. And it's true, that sometimes stress, traumas or other illnesses can initiate a flare. I was told I have it for life. But, Im so much better and have it somewhat under control. Sadly, this can be passed to unborn child. Whether or not the childs immune system can fight it - remains to be seen. They also know that Lyme can be passed sexually. http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2014/01/31/study-suggests-lyme-disease-sexually-transmitted/ Thing is, if your immune system is working properly - it can fight this. My doc has found that some he has tested for Protomyxzoa Rheumatica has it - but no symptoms. I on the other hand have symptoms.

Issie

Update to this comment. New research is finding a link to genetics with those having issues fighting off these pathogens. New paper to be released next week in London. I will post it when it is released.

Issie

Wow! Thank you Cort and all above for this Lyme info. And thanks for your excellent break downs to make it easily understood.

Last edited:

Strike me lucky

Is there any or many autopsy studies on chronic lyme patients ?

We know that some cfs autopsies find varicella type viral lesions in the nervous system of mecfsers.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources