Poll Cold vs Hot Showers

Cold vs Hot Showers. What's better for your pain/overall well being?

• Cold Shower

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Hot Shower

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I never really tried cold showers (at least not for a while) so not answering.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Folk

I wouldn't make it a poll as my feelings would be hot shower would win just because most people never tried Cold showers, so I added the option "never really tried cold showers etc...". So if you didn't compare them both please choose this one.

I use to think hot showers was the only thing that kept me alive all this years since it was really relaxing and it would ease my pain a looot. And i though cold water agravated my symptoms... Now I'm taking cold showers for like 4 months and it's more revigorating and I think even more pain reliefing. I'm not sure if it's just the water and it doesn't matter the temperature, the rest is in my head (really careful with using this around here hehe), or cold showers really is better for me than hot showers.
So I would like to know for those who experienced them what ya'll think?

Lisa108

Long, hot showers it is for me! Helps with pain. BUT: some days they do make me worse...
Cold water increases joint pain.

Merida

I wouldn't make it a poll as my feelings would be hot shower would win just because most people never tried Cold showers, so I added the option "never really tried cold showers etc...". So if you didn't compare them both please choose this one.

I use to think hot showers was the only thing that kept me alive all this years since it was really relaxing and it would ease my pain a looot. And i though cold water agravated my symptoms... Now I'm taking cold showers for like 4 months and it's more revigorating and I think even more pain reliefing. I'm not sure if it's just the water and it doesn't matter the temperature, the rest is in my head (really careful with using this around here hehe), or cold showers really is better for me than hot showers.
So I would like to know for those who experienced them what ya'll think?
@Folk
This cold water benefit is also experienced by people diagnosed with multiple scerlosis. At my pool therapy center there was a special cool pool for M.S. people. I must be careful with too hot showers - will cause facial flushing and overheating for 3-4 hours.

Interesting that when people have brain trauma they can be treated by an intential cooling of the body.

Adele

I noticed that recently it's been hard for me to take hot showers. My heart starts racing at 160 bmp and I get dizzy. So now I am taking WARM showers. I cast my vote for cold (as there was no warm option), but mine is about body temperature :) Probably, adding, warm option could be reasonable.

Merida

I noticed that recently it's been hard for me to take hot showers. My heart starts racing at 160 bmp and I get dizzy. So now I am taking WARM showers. I cast my vote for cold (as there was no warm option), but mine is about body temperature :) Probably, adding, warm option could be reasonable.
Adele, Think the hot water dilates the peripheral blood vessels and drops blood pressure for organs and brain ?? We have so many crazy symptoms. If you do not know about dysautonomia, this is important to read about. It took me 18 years to get diagnosed, but then many odd things made sense.

Adele

If you do not know about dysautonomia, this is important to read about. It took me 18 years to get diagnosed, but then many odd things made sense.
Thank you, Merida. I read about disautonomia. How do you get diagnosed for that? I assume they just measure your blood pressure when laying/sitting/standing?

MaryH.

I read about the benefits of cold showers years ago and I must admit that I have tried it several times and I get no joy or benefit that I know of from cold showers. I think these kinds of things are very different for each person. If you have a condition where taking cold showers really supports that condition then yes, try them. For me I like a hot to warm shower and I end my shower with a few moments of cold to close my pores. :) We are all different. Experiment and try different things and see what makes you feel good.

Not dead yet!

I voted hot because I mostly do that. But the techniques of Wim Hof, one of which is cold showers, and another may be similar to Kundalini yoga's fire breath.... those help. But they feel like work so I often am just happy to function a little and try not to force. With a cold shower, it's more like a cool shower for me. I can't really do fully cold.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources