Dairy Contributes Significantly To Symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Adolescents

Resource Dairy Contributes Significantly To Symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Adolescents

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Cort submitted a new resource:

Diary Contributes Significantly To Symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Adolescents - Study suggests everyone with ME/CFS should be careful about dairy

Dr. Peter Rowe of Johns Hopkins was one of the first researchers to find orthostatic intolerance in ME/CFS, and to associate Ehlors Danlos Syndrome with ME/CFS, and the first to propose that muscle-tendon problems were impairing range of motion and causing exercise problems.

Now he's blazing another trail. He just published a study indicating that milk intolerance is common in adolescent ME/CFS patients and causing them significant distress.

In a former talk Dr. Rowe went so far as to...

Read more about this resource...

Kat

This is excellent, and it's good that it distinguishes between lactose (sugar) and casein (protein).
After reading about a relationship between casein and inflammation last winter, I experimented with going dairy-free. My feet stopped burning, menstrual cramps improved to manageable, bowels improved, and skin cleared up, and I stopped waking so frequently at night. I really miss cheese and ice-cream, but not enough to outweigh the benefits of going dairy-free.

Edit: Worth noting that at 37, I'm not exactly an adolescent.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is excellent, and it's good that it distinguishes between lactose (sugar) and casein (protein).
After reading about a relationship between casein and inflammation last winter, I experimented with going dairy-free. My feet stopped burning, menstrual cramps improved to manageable, bowels improved, and skin cleared up, and I stopped waking so frequently at night. I really miss cheese and ice-cream, but not enough to outweigh the benefits of going dairy-free.

Edit: Worth noting that at 37, I'm not exactly an adolescent.
:)

That's pretty powerful.

I just talked to someone who's college age daughter with ME/CFS and various ailments was greatly helped by going off of milk.

I can't handle much soy - what a fatigue inducer soy is for me! - but I must say that Trader Joe's Cherry Soy Ice Cream I think it is is to die for. :)

Edie

I have Fibromyalgia and dairy became a real problem for me. If I accidently ingest some, I'm sick for a good 3 days, until it clears my system. I buy shredded rice cheese from the Health Food Store and Pizza Hut makes me my favorite pizza. I like the 'GOVEGGIE' brand and you can't tell the difference between it and the real mozzarella. Alternatives to dairy products are getting better and better.

Last edited:

Rachel Riggs

Well, it makes me happy to read this -- as a former artisan cheese shop owner -- I wasn't just imagining it, was I?? I no longer touch the stuff. :(

Lissa

That's pretty powerful.

I just talked to someone who's college age daughter with ME/CFS and various ailments was greatly helped by going off of milk.

I can't handle much soy - what a fatigue inducer soy is for me! - but I must say that Trader Joe's Cherry Soy Ice Cream I think it is is to die for. :)

Ditto for me with soy. Soy is my #1 enemy! It totally wipes me out, especially anything with soy protein.

Kat

That's pretty powerful.

Honestly, I'd been pretty adamant for a long time that dairy was NOT a problem for me. So I was shocked at how much benefit I got from finally trying to eliminate it.
I'm with you on the soy sensitivity - it would be a toss-up for me to have real ice cream (no less than 6 hours before bed, to let the effects wear off of course!) or go for a soy substitute.

TigerLilea

I have gone dairy free twice now and neither time noticed any improvement or difference to my CFS symptoms.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources