Did Darwin Have ME/CFS?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Research Director of the Solve CFS Initiative Zaher Nahle asks if probably the most important scientist of the past 300 years - Charles Darwin - had chronic fatigue syndrome.

Although most people aren't aware of it - at some point after his trip to the Galapago's Darwin's health plummeted. He would have attacks that left him debilitated for long periods of time. At those times he would have shun company and interactions with people. As I remember he didn't appear in London - the center of intellectual thought where his ideas were being hotly debated - until late in his life because of his health issues. Nobody had a clue what was going on but his list of symptoms was very ME/CFS like. Zajher reported that he had a "slew of physiological and biochemical abnormalities like dysotonomia, visual disturbance, gastric dismotility, abdominal pain, muscle wasting, lactic acidosis, peripheral neuropathy, tachycardia, dizziness, seasickness, nausea and severe headaches."

These strange health problems actually ran in his family.

Zaher's blog suggests that Darwin could have had mitochondrial problems and outlines Darwin's illness and the questions about it in inimitable fashion.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources