Did the Builder of the Brooklyn Bridge Builder Have ME/CFS?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Zaher Nahle's fascinating post on Darwin (Did he have ME/CFS?) reminded me of Washington Roebling. I came across his incredible story in David McCullough's book the Brooklyn Bridge - a fascinating read.

[bimg=fright|no-lightbox]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/WashingtonAugustusRoebling.jpg/220px-WashingtonAugustusRoebling.jpg[/bimg]Washington Roebling - a decorated civil war veteran and the engineer who built the Brooklyn Bridge. A physically strong man his health collapsed one day - probably from bends - during the construction of the bridge.

He never recovered and in fact got worse and worse. At some point he was diagnosed with neurasthenia. His nervous system was so shattered that he spent his days in a dark room - intolerant to light and sound. Although physically his health was shattered unlike many people with ME/CFS his intellectual capabilities remained intact. The bridges plans were in his head, tand he managed, with his wife's help, to supervise the construction of this massive project from his bedside - from memory.

From the day of his collapse until the bridges completion he never saw the bridge again. (It remains one of the sturdiest structures ever built). In fact, he was described as being on his deathbed the day the bridge opened.

Over a long time period of time he was able to recover some of his health - enough to provide leadership of one of the Roebling's companies - but he was never the same man again.

Hari

Thanks Cort for sharing the Brooklyn Bridge story. I watched this when I was in NY during late 1990s in Discovery Channel. Since then whenever I recall this story, my hope increases. And I prayed to keep my mental sharpness and alertness as is and improve the same for several years so that I could get back in life.

Given the description of his condition, he may be having FMS, but we can not be sure of it. Irrespective of what he had, he inspires me and motivates me to look forward for a better life.

Like wise this forum and other recovery stories encourage me to do more of what I am doing with increased confidence levels.

Have fun,
Hari

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thanks Cort for sharing the Brooklyn Bridge story. I watched this when I was in NY during late 1990s in Discovery Channel. Since then whenever I recall this story, my hope increases. And I prayed to keep my mental sharpness and alertness as is and improve the same for several years so that I could get back in life.

Given the description of his condition, he may be having FMS, but we can not be sure of it. Irrespective of what he had, he inspires me and motivates me to look forward for a better life.

Like wise this forum and other recovery stories encourage me to do more of what I am doing with increased confidence levels.

Have fun,
Hari
That's great Hari. I love your confidence. I am going to do a blog this week that is going to blow you away :)...

I know I owe you some PM's. Will get to them tomorrow.

Hari

Thanks Cort.

I wish my family and those who are very important to me realize what I am doing and the results in my life. Also the companies interviewing me understand this and encourage me further.

This is from a stand point of living in peace, and give peace and love to everyone in my life, not from self pity stand point.

Constant opposition on this is playing its own toll and delay in accomplishing my goals.

Have fun,

Hari

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources