Dissertation Research: Looking for help!

tabby

Hi All,
I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with ME/CFS/Fibro when I was 15. Over the years I have got a 'little' better, perhaps more with management of the condition than anything else.

I am currently undertaking a computer science masters course (struggling greatly with my health but trying to get through it!) and I am about to start my dissertation. I've decided I want to do something, however small, to help chronic condition suffers and thats where I need your help. Do any of you have any ideas of day-to-day applications, or wearable devices, that would help you manage your condition? The point is less to find a 'cure' than self management of the condition itself- I know personally I really struggle with getting to doctors appointments etc as it is so exhausting. It could be related to problems you find in every day life (like travelling/ making meals/ stress).

An example would be using the spoon theory (give it a google if you aren't familiar!) whereby I would create a wristband device to record energy consumption, every half hour activity would illuminate a red light and once the wristband was fully lit that would be a signal to rest for the day so you do not overdo it and suffer payback over the forthcoming days.

I would love to hear any ideas you have, and anything you really struggle with regarding the condition (this could be triggers or certain activity) which I could then cater my dissertation research towards. Perhaps you have found ways of dealing with the condition that could be translated to a technology platform?

Thanks for your help- I'm hoping once I get started some of you might be interested in answering further questionnaires for me and maybe trailing a product/app (I will make sure nothing is too challanging- I think it helps that i have first hand experience of the condition so have an idea of what we can manage!)

Tabby
X

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Hi All,
I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with ME/CFS/Fibro when I was 15. Over the years I have got a 'little' better, perhaps more with management of the condition than anything else.

I am currently undertaking a computer science masters course (struggling greatly with my health but trying to get through it!) and I am about to start my dissertation. I've decided I want to do something, however small, to help chronic condition suffers and thats where I need your help. Do any of you have any ideas of day-to-day applications, or wearable devices, that would help you manage your condition? The point is less to find a 'cure' than self management of the condition itself- I know personally I really struggle with getting to doctors appointments etc as it is so exhausting. It could be related to problems you find in every day life (like travelling/ making meals/ stress).

An example would be using the spoon theory (give it a google if you aren't familiar!) whereby I would create a wristband device to record energy consumption, every half hour activity would illuminate a red light and once the wristband was fully lit that would be a signal to rest for the day so you do not overdo it and suffer payback over the forthcoming days.

I would love to hear any ideas you have, and anything you really struggle with regarding the condition (this could be triggers or certain activity) which I could then cater my dissertation research towards. Perhaps you have found ways of dealing with the condition that could be translated to a technology platform?

Thanks for your help- I'm hoping once I get started some of you might be interested in answering further questionnaires for me and maybe trailing a product/app (I will make sure nothing is too challanging- I think it helps that i have first hand experience of the condition so have an idea of what we can manage!)

Tabby
X
That's a great idea on the wristband. How would it measure energy consumption? I'm going to pass this along to some people and see if they have any ideas.

tabby

That's a great idea on the wristband. How would it measure energy consumption? I'm going to pass this along to some people and see if they have any ideas.
Thanks very much Cort. I would have to create some sort of algorithm that would incorporate data collected from a device (like a fitbit) and then calculate this against what level of activity was being undertaken (so walking would be considered a higher energy activity than reading a book) and try and figure it out from there. The project is still in its initial stages!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources