Dr. Bateman on Do Antivirals Work in ME/CFS?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
From Prohealth - http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=20674

The answer is sometimes yes and other times no and there's no telling when they will work. Notice that Dr. Bateman is speaking about the most commonly available and affordable antivirals. (Vistide is definitely not in there...). I'm not sure Dr. Bateman uses them as frequently as Dr. Peterson, say, might.

Q: I hear about treating with antivirals like Valcyte, Valtrex and Famvir. My doctor says there’s no evidence that these help. Others claim great results? I don’t know what to think.

A: The term “no evidence” means specifically that there aren’t high quality published studies showing evidence or proof - and unfortunately, this is true for antivirals and ME/CFS. From my perspective, there are some people who respond, at least temporarily, to antiviral regimens, but the majority of people do not, at least using the commonly available and affordable antiviral drugs. That likely explains the varied claims.

Even as an experienced clinician, I’m not sure how to predict who will benefit and who will not. In my own clinic, I may try an antiviral regimen when there is substantial clinical evidence of reactivating herpes-virus infections.

Issie

My sis is one of Dr Batemans patients. The cost vs calculated response wasn't worth the trial. She didn't feel that enough positive was gotten from it. But was willing to try if my sis wanted to. My sis is in the BIG study going on right now.

Issie

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources