Treatment Protocol Dr. Chia's Equilibrant- Have you tried it?

tara

I recently thought about seeing a Chinese Medicine doctor due to a referral from someone whose daughter was treated successfully. However she was young and was basically better in 2 years (about 16/17). I hear more about the young ones recovering anyway at this age. I started googling various Chinese Medical treatments for ME/CFS and came across Dr. Chia's treatment which has a Chinese Medicine Compound Oxymarine which is algae based.

Due to not knowing the quality and sourcing of such Chinese herbs he created Equilibrant (quality controlled ingredients) an immune treatment for enterovirus which he claims treated 50% of the patients who had the enterovirus present.

Has anyone here tried it? If you have what testing did you have done by whom to diagnose the enterovirus? Can it in fact be diagnosed without biopsy?
Thanks!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I
I recently thought about seeing a Chinese Medicine doctor due to a referral from someone whose daughter was treated successfully. However she was young and was basically better in 2 years (about 16/17). I hear more about the young ones recovering anyway at this age. I started googling various Chinese Medical treatments for ME/CFS and came across Dr. Chia's treatment which has a Chinese Medicine Compound Oxymarine which is algae based.

Due to not knowing the quality and sourcing of such Chinese herbs he created Equilibrant (quality controlled ingredients) an immune treatment for enterovirus which he claims treated 50% of the patients who had the enterovirus present.

Has anyone here tried it? If you have what testing did you have done by whom to diagnose the enterovirus? Can it in fact be diagnosed without biopsy?
Thanks!
Chia was able to find evidence of enteroviruses in the blood as I remember but it was difficult and not nearly as accurate as the stomach biopsy (I think it's stomach?). On the other hand Equilibriant does not require a prescription so you can just go for it if you want. Oxymatrine is used for a variety of conditions in China. ''

We have a place to review Equilibriant here- http://www.cortjohnson.org/forums/reviews/treatments/immune/equilibriant-oxymatrine.181/ - but unfortunately no reviews yet. :(

weyland

Yes, I have been taking it for about 9 months. I had stomach biopsy tissue obtained from an EGD tested by Dr. Chia's lab and it came back positive for enteroviral protein and double stranded RNA. About 5 months after that I finally was able to obtain the antibody blood test panel for coxsackie B and echovirus when I become a patient of Dr. Chia. It came back positive for echovirus 30.

If you're in the US you can be diagnosed by the blood test panel. The downside to this test is that it can only detect six coxsackie B and five echovirus serotypes. Dr. Chia has patients that test positive on the stomach biopsy test but negative on the blood panel which means they have one of the lesser known serotypes that can't be easily identified.

weyland

I started googling various Chinese Medical treatments for ME/CFS and came across Dr. Chia's treatment which has a Chinese Medicine Compound Oxymarine which is algae based.
To be clear, the compound is called oxymatrine and it's derived from the roots of the Sophora plant which is land based.

tara

To be clear, the compound is called oxymatrine and it's derived from the roots of the Sophora plant which is land based.
Thanks for clearing that up! Here Ive been getting so excited about the benefits of Algae I jumped to the conclusion oxymatrine was from the sea.
@weyland have you had improvements over the 9 months? Do you combine it with Epivir and/or inosine? Do you have mainly gut or respiratory symptoms?
Can the blood test survive a plain trip?
I

Chia was able to find evidence of enteroviruses in the blood as I remember but it was difficult and not nearly as accurate as the stomach biopsy (I think it's stomach?). On the other hand Equilibriant does not require a prescription so you can just go for it if you want. Oxymatrine is used for a variety of conditions in China. ''

We have a place to review Equilibriant here- http://www.cortjohnson.org/forums/reviews/treatments/immune/equilibriant-oxymatrine.181/ - but unfortunately no reviews yet. :(
Have you ever tried it Cort? Have you ever had the testing? What are your thoughts about it?
Do you know how long Dr. Chia's son was ill for? Are there any more detailed case studies on his work? Any publicly searchable info on symptoms relevant to treatment?

weyland

@weyland have you had improvements over the 9 months? Do you combine it with Epivir and/or inosine? Do you have mainly gut or respiratory symptoms?
Can the blood test survive a plain trip?
I have had improvement, though I'm far from cured. My most recent blood test from about a month ago still shows high titers so I'm still fighting this thing. I do combine Equilibrant with Epivir, and I was taking inosine as well for a few months with these two but have since stopped it. Equilibrant has improved the gut symptoms the most, but my most bothersome symptoms are those usually associated with ME; dizziness, shortness of breath, orthostatic intolerance, rapid muscle fatigability and PEM, blood sugar instability and water balance issues.

I believe the blood for the test must remain frozen after being drawn. If you're in the US and have access to a LabCorp the panel can be sent through them using special test codes which I can dig up if you want them.

Are there any more detailed case studies on his work? Any publicly searchable info on symptoms relevant to treatment?
You might find this (scroll down a bit and there are case examples) and this interesting. He has also published a small treatment study investigating the use of interferon and ribavirin.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources