Dr. Kaufman and Chheda Leaving Open Medicine Institute

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Just got this....Anyone know what is going on? Several people told me they though Kaufman was a great doctor. That is a major change for OMI.

Dear Patients,
You are receiving this letter because you are an Open Medicine Clinic (OMC) patient and have an appointment booked with us in the near future. We are writing to tell you that Drs. Kaufman and Chheda have left OMC/OMI to establish an independent clinic effective today.

OMC and OMI will continue to serve ME/CFS patients with both clinic and research services and you are welcome to continue receiving your care either at OMC or the new clinic or some combination thereof. OMC/OMI will continue to offer physician visits, lab services, exercise testing, and infusion services.

Please note that if you elect to be seen at the new clinic, you will need to sign a records request to have your chart information transferred - please allow adequate time for this prior to your visit. Patients remaining at OMC for their care will obviously be assigned a new provider - Dr. Kogelnik or another physician. Patients can continue to be part of any OMI research studies regardless of where they receive care.

If you have an infusion appointment scheduled, OMC has three highly qualified infusion nurses who will continue to provide care for you at your scheduled date and time - we are now operating 5 days per week with expanded services. Patients who wish to transfer their infusion care should call the office to discuss 650-691-8933 since this typically is more involved.

Open Medicine Clinic will remain at 2500 Hospital Drive - Building 2 - 650-691-8633 mce-anchorclinic@openmedicineinstitute.org

The new to-be-named clinic will be nearby at 2500 Hospital Drive - Building 4B - 650-447-3001

We look forward to working with you to support you on a path to health. Please do not hesitate to e-mail or call with questions regarding this re-organization.

Sincerely,
Andy

Andreas M. Kogelnik, MD, PhD
Open Medicine Clinic and Open Medicine Institute
2500 Hospital Drive - Building 2
Mountain View, CA 94040
(650) 691-8633

Last edited:

JennyJenny

Just got this....Anyone know what is going on? Several people told me they though Kaufman was a great doctor. That is a major change for OMI.
IDK but was it the Chheda samples that did not test positive for eneroviruses with two CDC tests? I think it was the last question during the CDC call that Dr. Unger answered.

We got this:

Dr. Kaufman and I, along with Ellen, Lorie, and Adie, are excited to announce our new clinic, located at 2500 Hospital Dr, Bldg 4B, Mountain View, CA 94040. Our new phone number is 650-447-3001.

This new clinic will provide the same services, including intravenous infusions, SIBO testing, and specialized laboratory testing that you have come to expect from the Open Medical Clinic.

<some patient portal stuff>

Change is never easy, and the last few months have been hectic. Our decision to separate from OMC was driven entirely by our intent to focus 100% of our time on providing customized, personalized care to our patients. We are excited that our office staff from OMC has also transitioned with us, streamlining the move for patients. (emphasis mine)

We look forward to continuing our relationship.

Sincerely,

Dr. Chheda and Dr. Kaufman

Very curious too but no word why. I know Dr. Kogelnik is a researcher. Perhaps he wants to focus on research? I also wonder if the departing physicians were more inclined to use a lot of personalized interventions where the evidene was more anecdotal (or based on their patient base). I know we were a bit taken aback by how heavy-duty some of the interventions were, not to mention the testing expense. Quite a good fit if you were keen to get a Lyme-based treatment (or for Bartonella). And IV infusions are a bit of a controversial service (I don't know why).

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Very curious too but no word why. I know Dr. Kogelnik is a researcher. Perhaps he wants to focus on research? I also wonder if the departing physicians were more inclined to use a lot of personalized interventions where the evidene was more anecdotal (or based on their patient base). I know we were a bit taken aback by how heavy-duty some of the interventions were, not to mention the testing expense. Quite a good fit if you were keen to get a Lyme-based treatment (or for Bartonella). And IV infusions are a bit of a controversial service (I don't know why).
That's what I heard - a difference in focus...but why not do both?

The OMC/OMI under Dr. Kogelnik will be focusing on research and clinical services, while the new clinic under Drs Chheda and Kaufman will concentrate more on clinical and patient care. As the two clinics are right next to each other, it does not seem like there was a big personality clash, rather one of emphasis (research versus patient care).

J.A.

@Mavis & Max, I am trying to read between the lines in your post. Do you think Dr. Kaufman does more of the heavy-duty interventions? Also, did you mean that Dr. Kaufman would be better fit for Lyme-based treatments? Do you know what treatment he does for Lyme? It is difficult to find a doctor to treat chronic Lyme Disease. I am wanting to take my son to either Dr. Kaufman or Dr. Kogelnik. Doctors in this area have not been able to do anything for him and he has been sick for over a year, now. Thank you for any information you are willing to provide.

Learner

@Mavis & Max, I am trying to read between the lines in your post. Do you think Dr. Kaufman does more of the heavy-duty interventions? Also, did you mean that Dr. Kaufman would be better fit for Lyme-based treatments? Do you know what treatment he does for Lyme? It is difficult to find a doctor to treat chronic Lyme Disease. I am wanting to take my son to either Dr. Kaufman or Dr. Kogelnik. Doctors in this area have not been able to do anything for him and he has been sick for over a year, now. Thank you for any information you are willing to provide.
Dr. Kaufman has wonderful expertise in infections and immune system dysfunction. The testing he's done on me was very appropriate and his initial guesses of what was wrong with me proved correct. The results have helped justify treatment with my insurance company.

I don't have Lyme, but he began practicing in NY and it was on the list of things he treated at OMI, so I would expect he knows quite a bit about it.

I also know several Lyme patients - they are typically treated with antibiotics, ozone and IV and oral nutrients at the naturopathic clinics I've been to, and seem to be doing well.

I also have spoken to a longtime Lymie who got 10 Pass ozone treatment from Dr. Rowan in Santa Rosa, who says it's the best treatment of the many he's had for Lyme. There are clinics in LA and Santa Barbara who do it, too, and it was developed in Germany. A friend did it in Santa Barbara for chronic EBV and came home feeling better than she had in 20 years.

Best wishes.

There isn't much I can say is between the lines, but I do know Dr. Chheda treats and is very knowledgeable about Lyme. The tests are expensive and the treatment is quite hard on the body, but if that is the path you wish to follow, she will certainly follow it.

Learner

Got this message yesterday from Drs. Kaufman and Chedda:

....we have finally received approval from the California Medical Board for our new practice name. We are now Center for Complex Diseases and you will see this name on most of our communications in the future...

...We are confident that these changes and upgrades will improve communication and patient care..
I am very happy with the diagnosis and guidance Dr K has provided for my care.

I haven't seen Dr. Chedda, but the naturopathic clinics I've been helped by treat chronic Lyme patients comprehensively, including antibiotics, gut health, nutrient IVs and endocrine support.

Above this, which has been extremely helpful and I wouldn't function as well without, Dr K was able to confirm/find my many infections and thoroughly investigate and treat my dysfunctional immune system. From what I've seen, it takes tackling this on all fronts to be successful.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources