Dru Reduces Aging of Cells - Connection to ME/CFS

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
We age, in part, because the adult stem cells in our tissues are surrounded by chemicals that prevent them from replacing damaged cells. One of these chemicals is TGF-beta1, known to depress stem cell activity. A new study shows that a drug that blocks TGF-beta1, which is now being tested for its anticancer properties, makes brain and muscle tissue more youthful. This is a step toward a drug cocktail that could rejuvenate aging tissue.

Brain-Therapy-46500307.jpg

What is so interesting about this? TGF-beta is significantly increased in the immune cells of ME/CFS patients (and here - and here ). In fact it's one of the more consistently found cytokines in ME/CFS. No one's really known what to do with it thouugh.

"That one protein (TGF-B) when upregulated, ages multiple stem cells in distinct organs, such as the brain, pancreas, heart and muscle. "

Several factors associated with aging - including telomere length - in fact, have been found in ME/CFS. Could high levels of TGF-beta be playing a role?

Researchers at UC Berkeley found a molecule that blocks TGF-beta. Introducing it into the hippocampus of mice caused the mice to grow more nerve cells and perk up considerably. If TGF-B levels are causing issues in ME/CFS this new drug could be the antidoge. It's currently being tested in cancer/

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources