EDTA?

Not dead yet!

I stumbled on some things while reading research about EDTA being helpful for heart disease and apparently it's a myth that you have to get it by IV. I thought they were just hyping, but then I noticed the sheer number of EDTA supplements out there. And not trying to gouge anyone, just available. I mean, it's a GRAS food additive so there's no reason why you couldn't buy it, but I"m amazed at how many are out there. It's been off my radar.

Does anyone have some good resources for using it? Like how much/ how often (oral). And is it an anticoagulant? It seems like it would prevent AGE formation. Any positive effects on liver or pancreas from it?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and did it help?

Carl#1

I have some which I put into veggie caps and I used it for treating biofilms as it absorbs the metals as the biofilm is broken up which prevents the damn things from re-using the metals to rebuild the biofilm. That has been my only usage of it.

I did read somewhere that it can affect red blood cells, causing sort of spikes in the cell membrane so it is recommended to keep the dosage fairly low ie below 2000mg when used via IV. Seeing as not all of it would be absorbed via the digestive system 2000mg should be fairly safe when consumed. Because it absorbs calcium etc you need to keep it away from your teeth!

[article]EDTA is more attracted to some elements than others. This is a list of what EDTA is attracted to, in order of highest attraction to lower. This list was comprised by research published by Saul Green and Wallace Sampson in 2002. From studies, we also know EDTA has an affinity for Arsenic and Uranium, though we do not know where they fall in the line of affinity.

Iron (Ferric)
Mercury
Copper
Aluminum
Nickel
Lead
Cobalt
Iron (Ferrous)
Zinc
Cadmium
Manganese
Magnesium
Calcium[/article]

If heart disease is an issue, which it is in all CFS sufferers to some degree because of the inflammation, then vitamin K2 can be helpful and so can serrapeptase/nattokinase/lumbrokinase.

Not dead yet!

I have some which I put into veggie caps and I used it for treating biofilms as it absorbs the metals as the biofilm is broken up which prevents the damn things from re-using the metals to rebuild the biofilm. That has been my only usage of it.

I did read somewhere that it can affect red blood cells, causing sort of spikes in the cell membrane so it is recommended to keep the dosage fairly low ie below 2000mg when used via IV. Seeing as not all of it would be absorbed via the digestive system 2000mg should be fairly safe when consumed. Because it absorbs calcium etc you need to keep it away from your teeth!

[article]EDTA is more attracted to some elements than others. This is a list of what EDTA is attracted to, in order of highest attraction to lower. This list was comprised by research published by Saul Green and Wallace Sampson in 2002. From studies, we also know EDTA has an affinity for Arsenic and Uranium, though we do not know where they fall in the line of affinity.

Iron (Ferric)
Mercury
Copper
Aluminum
Nickel
Lead
Cobalt
Iron (Ferrous)
Zinc
Cadmium
Manganese
Magnesium
Calcium[/article]

If heart disease is an issue, which it is in all CFS sufferers to some degree because of the inflammation, then vitamin K2 can be helpful and so can serrapeptase/nattokinase/lumbrokinase.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of the biofilm issue. I wage war on biofilms too. The last "-ases" you mention have been my front line, along with fresh raw garlic that I eat with meals.

I stumbled on a few more studies lately on how heavy metals get in the body, apparently it's pesticides. And lead especially because it just sits on the soil and doesn't wash away. Lead and arsenic (together) are used on potato beetles and even if the farm has moved to something else, the lead remains. I've read that rice accumulates arsenic. If it's the same pesticide that causes the arsenic in the soil of rice, then I wish they'd test rice for lead too.

At the moment I'm back to keto, so it's not an issue for me, but I worry about people who are eating conventional rice. And myself someday if I can't afford better.

Anyway, thanks for the insight into EDTA.

Carl#1

Do you realise that heart and circulatory disease is caused by inflammatory processes caused by Increased Digestive Permeability? Anything which dampens inflammation is helpful like antioxidants such as Vit E, Vit C, NAC ->glutathione and sulfur like MSM which spares the sulfur amino acids such as cysteine from being converted to sulfur which the body needs. There are herbs which can block the effects of LipoPolySaccharides (LPS) which enter the bloodstream in the colon from the cell walls of gram negative bacteria. LPS is highly inflammatory and is used in research to promote inflammatory processes.

Any herbs which can help these processes such as Milk Thistle extract for glutathione and other natural antioxidants can be helpful.

Cordyceps mushroom can be very helpful because it lowers inflammatory markers ie cytokines as well as having anti-fatigue effects. There are extracts which indicate their polysaccharide content which is a false idea because most of the polysaccharides in them comes from the substrate they are grown on which has no beneficial effect. It is the Beta Glucans which are helpful and which needs to be watched out for. One product proudly declares that it has 30% polysaccharides of which 10 to 15% is Beta Glucans which works out to be only 3% to 4.5% Beta Glucans by weight. The extract that I recently purchased has 25% Beta Glucans which is a significantly higher concentration. Stephen Harrod Buhner recommends large amounts of Cordyceps ie 50 grams to have a significant effect. One or two capsules just does not compare. I am up to 3 grams at a time of a Cordyceps extract with 25% Beta Glucans. I am being careful not to increase it too fast because the previous Cordyceps that I was using which had 30% polysaccharides tended to make me sleep whenever I had too much. I think the problem was actually due to hydrolysed collagen and not the cordyceps. Hydrolysed collagen is not all peptides because there are some proteins still remaining which my body/immune system reacts badly to. Either that or the large amount of glycine is just too much for me and makes me sleep, but even small amounts of collagen has the same effect so I doubt that it is glycine TBH. I can take 5ml of Glycine powder without any problems.

A good guide on Cordyceps:
https://hackspirit.com/cordyceps/

Last edited:

Not dead yet!

Do you realise that heart and circulatory disease is caused by inflammatory processes caused by Increased Digestive Permeability? Anything which dampens inflammation is helpful like antioxidants such as Vit E, Vit C, NAC ->glutathione and sulfur like MSM which spares the sulfur amino acids such as cysteine from being converted to sulfur which the body needs. There are herbs which can block the effects of LipoPolySaccharides (LPS) which enter the bloodstream in the colon from the cell walls of gram negative bacteria. LPS is highly inflammatory and is used in research to promote inflammatory processes.

Any herbs which can help these processes such as Milk Thistle extract for glutathione and other natural antioxidants can be helpful.

Cordyceps mushroom can be very helpful because it lowers inflammatory markers ie cytokines as well as having anti-fatigue effects. There are extracts which indicate their polysaccharide content which is a false idea because most of the polysaccharides in them comes from the substrate they are grown on which has no beneficial effect. It is the Beta Glucans which are helpful and which needs to be watched out for. One product proudly declares that it has 30% polysaccharides of which 10 to 15% is Beta Glucans which works out to be only 3% to 4.5% Beta Glucans by weight. The extract that I recently purchased has 25% Beta Glucans which is a significantly higher concentration. Stephen Harrod Buhner recommends large amounts of Cordyceps ie 50 grams to have a significant effect. One or two capsules just does not compare. I am up to 3 grams at a time of a Cordyceps extract with 25% Beta Glucans. I am being careful not to increase it too fast because the previous Cordyceps that I was using which had 30% polysaccharides tended to make me sleep whenever I had too much. I think the problem was actually due to hydrolysed collagen and not the cordyceps. Hydrolysed collagen is not all peptides because there are some proteins still remaining which my body/immune system reacts badly to. Either that or the large amount of glycine is just too much for me and makes me sleep, but even small amounts of collagen has the same effect so I doubt that it is glycine TBH. I can take 5ml of Glycine powder without any problems.

A good guide on Cordyceps:
https://hackspirit.com/cordyceps/

Actually yes I've heard of this. Around 2010, Nature published a study done on mice that showed, if you give mice enough antibiotics they can't get heart disease. Not a workable solution, but it's an interesting insight, especially since blood clots can be caused by the body fighting pathogens as a normal part of daily function.

Thanks for the info on cordyceps, I have to grow my own mushrooms because with Celiac, I can't be too careful of what growth media people may be using. Really fun though. And I think it keeps down the toxic molds in the house. Same with sourdough, even if I wasn't using it, I'd grow it because it colonizes the kitchen sink pipe. My kitchen is part food prep, part mad scientist laboratory.

Carl#1

I think that you misunderstand what I said. Micro-organisms might create heart disease in those tests but inflammation in general promotes heart and circulatory disease. It's true that most of that comes from infections in the digestive system which promote IDP and all the immune system dysfunction that it creates.

Until the cause of the IDP is eliminated by destroying the infection so that the digestive system can heal, which I am working on, taking anything which lessens inflammatory processes can help prevent things from worsening until the cause is eliminated. LPS are a big factor and there are herbs which can block this action, I forget the names ATM but have them noted somewhere.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources