Elemental diet throws food sensitivities into sharp relief

I've had ME/CFS for decades and started investigating the possibility that food sensitivities could be part of the problem 15 months ago. An exclusion diet uncovered sensitivities to amines and glutamates and intolerance to most of the FODMAPs. Eight months ago small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) was diagnosed following a hydrogen breath test.

I always considered my digestive symptoms (diarrhea and flatulence) the least of my problems. It's the brain fog that is the most disabling part of my illness by far. I was feeling pretty good as long as I didn't eat the things I had discovered I reacted to - in fact I regarded myself as almost normal, although not cured because I was aware the dietary restrictions were simply managing my symptoms. But because SIBO could be contributing to my various neurological symptoms as well as my other food sensitivities, I agreed to treat it.

A very expensive course of Rifaximin was unsuccessful. I then put myself on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet designed to starve the bacteria in the small intestine - which can take years. The diet was pretty restrictive once I'd also excluded amines and glutamates. I was feeling well on it, but my dietician was worried I wasn't getting enough Vit B1 (thiamine) which she said could lead to permanent neurological damage.

She suggested an elemental diet. This is is the stuff they tube feed people with in hospital. It contains all the vitamins, minerals, carbs and fats you need to support life in liquid form. You ingest nothing but this stuff for 2 -3 weeks. Because it is absorbed straight through the gut walls no digestion as such is needed and your gut has a complete rest. Meanwhile, the bacteria have nothing to eat and they die.

I have to say it was easier than I expected. There are a couple of different brands of elemental diet. Most people on the net report using Vivonex but I was was prescribed Elemental 028 Extra, made by Nutricia. The drink was really quite palatable. I certainly missed real food but didn't seriously crave it, didn't get hungry after the first day, didn't lose much weight and didn't experience the symptoms of bacterial die-off that other people report, probably because I'd already gone through most of that with the various exclusion diets I'd been on.

The thing that astounded me was how well I felt on this diet. After a week all my symptoms went away except tingling in my feet, and I can live with that. I was bouncing out of bed every morning where before I would stay there until the last possible moment. I had loads of energy, was physically stronger, could virtually run up hills that before I needed frequent rests on, could concentrate and think clearly and incisively and felt cheerful and calm. I have not felt like that for several years.

The three weeks was up on Thursday evening. My dietician said I could start reintroducing real food, starting with chicken and fish. I ate a 185gm tin of tuna and went to bed.

When I woke in the morning I was horrified to find that all my neuro symptoms were back - the buzzing, vibrating sensation in my body, the weakness, shakiness, dizziness, inability to focus my eyes, fatigue and brain fog. All from one tin of tuna. Coincidence? Some might say so. I suppose time will tell. I'm back on the elemental diet and when the symptoms clear I will repeat the experiment, if I am brave enough.

I'm still trying to work out what it was about the tuna that affected me so badly. Thirty-six hours after eating it the symptoms are still getting worse. The exclusion diet I was on previously named tinned fish as a source of amines, and although I knew was sensitive to amines in large quantities I have previously eaten tuna with no ill effects. Or so I thought. The elemental diet appears to have swept the slate clean and the effects of various food chemicals are shown up very clearly.

I will keep you posted.

Lissa

Wow! That is fascinating! Please do keep us posted on how it goes.

It took me a year to kick SIBO -- but I didn't want to do the elemental diet because everyone said it was awful! Good to know there is a tolerable brand. Thanks for sharing!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I've had ME/CFS for decades and started investigating the possibility that food sensitivities could be part of the problem 15 months ago. An exclusion diet uncovered sensitivities to amines and glutamates and intolerance to most of the FODMAPs. Eight months ago small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) was diagnosed following a hydrogen breath test.

I always considered my digestive symptoms (diarrhea and flatulence) the least of my problems. It's the brain fog that is the most disabling part of my illness by far. I was feeling pretty good as long as I didn't eat the things I had discovered I reacted to - in fact I regarded myself as almost normal, although not cured because I was aware the dietary restrictions were simply managing my symptoms. But because SIBO could be contributing to my various neurological symptoms as well as my other food sensitivities, I agreed to treat it.

A very expensive course of Rifaximin was unsuccessful. I then put myself on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet designed to starve the bacteria in the small intestine - which can take years. The diet was pretty restrictive once I'd also excluded amines and glutamates. I was feeling well on it, but my dietician was worried I wasn't getting enough Vit B1 (thiamine) which she said could lead to permanent neurological damage.

She suggested an elemental diet. This is is the stuff they tube feed people with in hospital. It contains all the vitamins, minerals, carbs and fats you need to support life in liquid form. You ingest nothing but this stuff for 2 -3 weeks. Because it is absorbed straight through the gut walls no digestion as such is needed and your gut has a complete rest. Meanwhile, the bacteria have nothing to eat and they die.

I have to say it was easier than I expected. There are a couple of different brands of elemental diet. Most people on the net report using Vivonex but I was was prescribed Elemental 028 Extra, made by Nutricia. The drink was really quite palatable. I certainly missed real food but didn't seriously crave it, didn't get hungry after the first day, didn't lose much weight and didn't experience the symptoms of bacterial die-off that other people report, probably because I'd already gone through most of that with the various exclusion diets I'd been on.

The thing that astounded me was how well I felt on this diet. After a week all my symptoms went away except tingling in my feet, and I can live with that. I was bouncing out of bed every morning where before I would stay there until the last possible moment. I had loads of energy, was physically stronger, could virtually run up hills that before I needed frequent rests on, could concentrate and think clearly and incisively and felt cheerful and calm. I have not felt like that for several years.

The three weeks was up on Thursday evening. My dietician said I could start reintroducing real food, starting with chicken and fish. I ate a 185gm tin of tuna and went to bed.

When I woke in the morning I was horrified to find that all my neuro symptoms were back - the buzzing, vibrating sensation in my body, the weakness, shakiness, dizziness, inability to focus my eyes, fatigue and brain fog. All from one tin of tuna. Coincidence? Some might say so. I suppose time will tell. I'm back on the elemental diet and when the symptoms clear I will repeat the experiment, if I am brave enough.

I'm still trying to work out what it was about the tuna that affected me so badly. Thirty-six hours after eating it the symptoms are still getting worse. The exclusion diet I was on previously named tinned fish as a source of amines, and although I knew was sensitive to amines in large quantities I have previously eaten tuna with no ill effects. Or so I thought. The elemental diet appears to have swept the slate clean and the effects of various food chemicals are shown up very clearly.

I will keep you posted.
Oh my god!
Thank you for posting this.
I have to try this diet.

I know about this tuna stuff....It may have been the worst food to eat. Here's my fish story.

About 15 years ago I was eating lots of fish...It was a cheap source of protein and I was cheap fish - tuna, mackerel, sardines, some canned salmon - over time I started falling apart. My feet and arms were constantly "falling asleep"...It was completely bizarre. Then Dr. Cheney did a hair test - and found my mercury levels were normal for someone with amalgams in their mouth. The only problem was that I had no amalgams in my mouth.

He suggested I was getting it from fish. I dropped the fish and within a couple of weeks my problems just disappeared. I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of us have an extreme sensitivity to mercury. I had a filling removed under which a piece of mercury was present and felt a wave of relaxation flow across my body.

I would take something that help soak up the mercury perhaps = maybe some bentonite clay or fiber or something. I'm not sure which...

Food sensitivities are so weird.....

Species of fish that are long-lived and high on the food chain, such as marlin, tuna, shark, swordfish, king mackerel,tilefish (Gulf of Mexico), and northern pike, contain higher concentrations of mercury than others.[1]

Cort

Staff member
My question is do you need a doctors prescription to get the elemental diet stuff? I think I should try it. .

Cort

Staff member
Darden suggested this resource:

Here's a program that treats sensitivities and allergies including amines: Advanced Allergy Therapeutics. http://www.allergytx.com/

Folk

That's really interesting... I react really bad to fruits specially...

What about doing the elemntal diet and then going straight to keto?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Now, three days later, I'm nearly back to normal. I saw my dietician this morning and she has given me another few weeks' worth of the elemental diet so I can test out other amines, because apparently some people react to some more than others. (I am really hoping I can eat cheese again - and tomatoes.) She said it would probably take a long time for my gut to heal and in the meantime I should just carefully introduce small quantities of the trigger foods to see what I could get away with. Prebiotics and probiotics will be important, but she urged caution with the probiotics. If one more person tries to sell me on kefir or sauerkraut I will scream. Fermented foods are NOT good for people sensitive to amines. (Which also explains why my nose goes bright red when I drink wine. Gin and Schweppes tonic is my drink of choice now, minus the lemon.) The probiotic she has recommended is Ethical Nutrients Gastro Relief.
Lissa - I don't know why Vivonex is the brand so frequently used in the States. Possibly it's thought to be 'safer' because it does have artificial colours and flavours which people might react to. (I must admit I got a bit itchy, but not so much that I was tempted to stop.) But the flavouring agent in Elemental 028 surely has benefits in compliance. There are three flavours - summer fruit which was a bit sweet for me, orange and pineapple - slightly better because of a slight acidity which cut the sweetness of the glucose, and grapefruit which I REALLY liked. They had done a great job of replicating a natural grapefruit taste including a slight bitterness, and I think it was the bitterness that masked any medicinal taste of the active ingredients.

Wow Cort - scary fish story. Isn't it ironic how badly our attempts to eat a 'healthy' diet backfire? The Mediterranean diet ain't so good for those with food sensitivities, but you never hear that in the media. I've taken fish oil in the past. I wonder about the mercury levels in that. Any idea?

Folk - I'm sure you could get elemental diet drinks without a prescription and some people make their own, which saves money but probably doesn't taste great. I'm in New Zealand and the great advantage for me was cost. Unlike the Rifaximin (for which I paid NZ$310) the Elemental 028 cost $10 on prescription for three weeks. And in that time, obviously, I spent $00.00 on food. (Cost to the planet - hmmm. Unfortunately the empty tetrapaks fill up your rubbish bin quite fast.)

I couldn't say whether your plan of going from elemental to keto would work. It wouldn't for me, but then my condition is probably nothing like yours. We are all individual and if I have learned anything it is the importance of finding a good health professional to guide you through the maze. All my reading on the net has not been equal to the knowledge and sound intuition of my dietician. I've just realised that doing the elemental diet is the easy part. It's reintroducing real food that is the tricky part - as I've just demonstrated only too clearly!

My dietitican is the one who steered me through the elimination diet that identified my food sensitivities in the first place. It was basically the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital elimination diet (which I highly recommend), and she also had me exclude diary and gluten as well, so my diet was really restricted for a while and that's not something you want to do without professional oversight IMO.

While we're on the topic of self-administered diets, can I say something about the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). It may work fine for those with SIBO but no other food sensitivities, but you will fall at the first hurdle if you do have other food sensitivities (and very many people with SIBO do). The starter diet includes grape juice, and grapes contain glutamate. I can't help wondering how many people with a glutamate sensitivity attribute their awful symptoms on the starter diet to die-off and battle on for weeks getting sicker and sicker. The SCD also relies heavily on fermented food as a probiotic - also a no-no for those with amine sensitivity. I wrote a post to this effect on an SCD blog and surprise, surprise, it never got past the moderators and never appeared. This is the trouble with doing your own research on the net. You're only reading the experiences of those toeing the party line. Current company excepted of course! I liken net blogs in general to the Dark Ages and Health Rising to the Enlightenment. The emphasis on research is so refreshing.

Best wishes everyone! I have spent far too long writing this but it is heartening to know others are going through the same sort of thing as me, and I hope my experience can be useful.

Help, can you edit posts on here?
To be clear, ELEMENTAL 028 has flavour and colours. Vivonex doesn't, which is why it might be thought safer. Sorry.

LondonPots

Tuna sensitivity screams histamine intolerance to me - I've had a fair amount of improvement of symptoms (esp puffy eyes, itching, headaches) from staying on a low-histamine diet and consuming the required daomine-oxidase (which degrades histamine) from sprouting pea-shoots in the dark for 10 days. Old/tinned fish and cured meats are the worst for me.
http://thelowhistaminechef.com/ - general very interesting website
http://thelowhistaminechef.com/dr-joneja-natural-diamine-oxidase-for-histamine-intolerance/ - great interview
https://www.facebook.com/groups/773610622658207/ (The DAO Pea Seedling Experiment Group)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/773610622658207/permalink/985091064843494/ - my pea=growing post in the group

Thanks so much for those links Penelope! I was reaching the same conclusion about histamine and am having a happy old time following up this new line of enquiry. After so many years of ill health I find it really exciting that the end seems to be in sight.

Lissa

Thanks so much for those links Penelope! I was reaching the same conclusion about histamine and am having a happy old time following up this new line of enquiry. After so many years of ill health I find it really exciting that the end seems to be in sight.

Meg, I just have to share with you- the funniest coincidence: I had a doc apt yesterday and my ND wants me to try the elemental diet. I am seriously considering it.... And hoping he can get the brand you recommended if I decide to do it.

I am struggling a bit though--- with conflicting opinions from others. I'm leaning towards trying it with an eye towards solving food intolerance issues once and for all. And obviously hoping for improvements with ME-CFS symptoms...

But I have also been counseled (by someone whom I respect greatly) that this is risky, and unknown when it comes to treating someone with SIBO - AND CFS! As in - who knows what it might do.... What if it makes me worse?! Like status quo and just dealing is maybe a better option?

I'd love to hear from others in the same boat.... Anyone else out there who can recommend doing it and why or even why not? I must admit I am a HUGE fan of food and am very sensitive to tastes. Food is such a large part of what makes our shrunken world tolerable! I'd like to think I'd have the strength to make it for 3 weeks without, but it sounds so awful I just don't know!

Lissa

Oh, and Meg, I wanted to ask you--- on the elemental diet do you still take all your regular supplements/medications? Or does it all need to be combed through to compare ingredients so you aren't getting too much of any one thing? (Vitamins etc)

Cort

Staff member
Meg, I just have to share with you- the funniest coincidence: I had a doc apt yesterday and my ND wants me to try the elemental diet. I am seriously considering it.... And hoping he can get the brand you recommended if I decide to do it.

I am struggling a bit though--- with conflicting opinions from others. I'm leaning towards trying it with an eye towards solving food intolerance issues once and for all. And obviously hoping for improvements with ME-CFS symptoms...

But I have also been counseled (by someone whom I respect greatly) that this is risky, and unknown when it comes to treating someone with SIBO - AND CFS! As in - who knows what it might do.... What if it makes me worse?! Like status quo and just dealing is maybe a better option?

I'd love to hear from others in the same boat.... Anyone else out there who can recommend doing it and why or even why not? I must admit I am a HUGE fan of food and am very sensitive to tastes. Food is such a large part of what makes our shrunken world tolerable! I'd like to think I'd have the strength to make it for 3 weeks without, but it sounds so awful I just don't know!
Please keep us posted. I'm really interested in this diet too...

The only thing that might provide hope is that if you try the diet and it starts working and you have more energy and mental clarity etc. the desire for other food will diminish I think. That's my experience - so if it works - it might be easier than it looks...(hopefully :))

I found it really interesting that Chris - who just spent $15,000 at Dr. Cheney's over a year and got nowhere is seeing progress for the first time on a diet (a vegan diet).

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2015/06/23/the-cheney-chronicles-3-one-year-later-decision-time/

Last edited:

Lissa

The only thing that might provide hope is that if you try the diet and it starts working and you have more energy and mental clarity etc. the desire for other food will diminish I think. That's my experience - so if it works - it might be easier than it looks...(hopefully :))

I found it really interesting that Chris - who just spent $15,000 at Dr. Cheney's over a year and got nowhere is seeing progress for the first time on a diet (a vegan diet).

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2015/06/23/the-cheney-chronicles-3-one-year-later-decision-time/

Yeah, I've tried all kinds of diets so far. All the food intolerance eliminations of course, and then I did a rotation diet for Leaky Gut for almost a year. THAT was seriously challenging to keep track of what to eat what day.

Then I did the SCD... But didn't feel it did much for me. Then I got Lyme and bought a Lyme cookbook for anti-inflammatory foods. At least it tasted good! I'm sure it helped me but now it's been a while and I can't recall.

Then last year I went Paleo just before discovering the SIBO problem. Paleo has been the best yet. My body just feels better without the excess carbs. Just as you said Cort, I feel better enough that it makes a difference-- so it is well worth doing, which makes it easier to be compliant! I can only hope all this practice at gutting it out and having to give up so many foods already will be beneficial if I decide to go Elemental.

I must add.... My husband refers to it as the Excremental Diet. Hahaha! Gee I can't wait. Sign me up!

Hi Lissa
Like you, my reason for trying the elemental diet was to get rid of SIBO which I was pretty sure had contributed to, or even caused my food sensitivities. Leaky gut and all that. I wasn't sure whether the food sensitivities would go away straight away or only when my gut had had a chance to heal. Perhaps I have been a bit too quick to reintroduce foods that used to cause me problems. I have to say that my first experiments have indicated that disappointingly, with regard to the food sensitivities anyway, nothing much has changed. I ate half an onion fried and got the horrible flatulence I know so well. I ate some camembert, loved it ... oh cheese I have missed you! ... and two days later am still suffering from neurological symptoms. When I'm better (and it's lovely to know I WILL be better!) I will try gluten.

In between experiments I am now eating about 50% elemental and 50% foods I know agree with me. The good news is that so far, I haven't reacted to anything that was 'safe' before, ie I am no worse off. (Unlike the Rifaximin). And apart from stomach cramps and diarrhea after the camembert my stools have been more normal than they were before, ie everything seems to be getting properly digested and passing through at the right rate. So that's progress. Perhaps it means the SIBO has receded. Whether I still officially have it I don't know and I don't have the money for another hydrogen breath test. Apparently the success rate for elemental diet curing SIBO is 80-85%.

Even if I do still have SIBO I don't regret having done the elemental diet. It reminded me what good health feels like - I still can't believe how well I felt, and I know I can do it again! Most importantly this was proof that the answer lies in my diet - I'm on the right track!

About continuing with the meds - yes, you still take them, although things like vitamins and supplements aren't necessary because they're already in the elemental diet.

Some people who do the elemental diet are really in a bad way with messed up digestion and can't afford to lose any more weight. Perhaps they are the ones who get worse. I guess only you can know how much of a knife edge you are on with your health, and how bearable the status quo is. Like you, I enjoy my food. It's the social aspects of not being able to eat what everyone else eats that annoy me most.

Lissa

Hi Lissa
Like you, my reason for trying the elemental diet was to get rid of SIBO which I was pretty sure had contributed to, or even caused my food sensitivities. Leaky gut and all that. I wasn't sure whether the food sensitivities would go away straight away or only when my gut had had a chance to heal. Perhaps I have been a bit too quick to reintroduce foods that used to cause me problems. I have to say that my first experiments have indicated that disappointingly, with regard to the food sensitivities anyway, nothing much has changed. I ate half an onion fried and got the horrible flatulence I know so well. I ate some camembert, loved it ... oh cheese I have missed you! ... and two days later am still suffering from neurological symptoms. When I'm better (and it's lovely to know I WILL be better!) I will try gluten.

In between experiments I am now eating about 50% elemental and 50% foods I know agree with me. The good news is that so far, I haven't reacted to anything that was 'safe' before, ie I am no worse off. (Unlike the Rifaximin). And apart from stomach cramps and diarrhea after the camembert my stools have been more normal than they were before, ie everything seems to be getting properly digested and passing through at the right rate. So that's progress. Perhaps it means the SIBO has receded. Whether I still officially have it I don't know and I don't have the money for another hydrogen breath test. Apparently the success rate for elemental diet curing SIBO is 80-85%.

Even if I do still have SIBO I don't regret having done the elemental diet. It reminded me what good health feels like - I still can't believe how well I felt, and I know I can do it again! Most importantly this was proof that the answer lies in my diet - I'm on the right track!

About continuing with the meds - yes, you still take them, although things like vitamins and supplements aren't necessary because they're already in the elemental diet.

Some people who do the elemental diet are really in a bad way with messed up digestion and can't afford to lose any more weight. Perhaps they are the ones who get worse. I guess only you can know how much of a knife edge you are on with your health, and how bearable the status quo is. Like you, I enjoy my food. It's the social aspects of not being able to eat what everyone else eats that annoy me most.

Meg, thanks so much for your detailed reply. Your story encourages me! I'll keep posting on my status if I decide to go for it.

As for my health... I'm largely housebound and operating at an average of 30% of what used to be normal. I have had many more "good days" since going Paleo, but I'm still quite limited in what I can do. The idea of even having glimpses of feeling well again is quite compelling!

As for weight loss- I would actually welcome it! I lost 15 lbs on Paleo, and was just 5 lbs shy of my modest goal.... But then something shifted and I gained almost 10 of it back again despite maintaining my diet. Sooooo flipping frustrating!!! Especially having been fit and athletic before getting sick. How is it even possible to eat the same diet you lost weight on, be more active than usual, and then gain weight?! Argh. And no it isn't muscle. It's plain old swelly belly, tight pants. Gah!!!

Perhaps doing Elemental would knock out the last of the cooties and give my metabolism a break to reset properly. I'm leaning more and more toward trying it!

I found sticking to the elemental diet really easy, both because of the mental clarity, which seems to prevent all sorts of automatic bingeing behaviour - bingeing on risky food, bingeing on surfing the net ... okay, I'm going soon, promise ;-) ... and also because when you're only allowed to ingest one thing it precludes the slippery slope that makes you think a little bit of this and a little bit of that can't do you any harm. You can sit with a group of friends with your special drink (doctor's orders!) and not feel embarrassed about being picky with your food.

It also interested me to notice how satisfying the drink was. You get hungry - you drink the drink - you stop being hungry and don't want anything else. It made me wonder why we feel driven to eat a lot of stuff. Why is our body asking for food that isn't good for us?

As for weight loss- I would actually welcome it! I lost 15 lbs on Paleo, and was just 5 lbs shy of my modest goal.... But then something shifted and I gained almost 10 of it back again despite maintaining my diet. Sooooo flipping frustrating!!! Especially having been fit and athletic before getting sick. How is it even possible to eat the same diet you lost weight on, be more active than usual, and then gain weight?! Argh. And no it isn't muscle. It's plain old swelly belly, tight pants. Gah!!!

Perhaps doing Elemental would knock out the last of the cooties and give my metabolism a break to reset properly. I'm leaning more and more toward trying it!
Good luck Lissa. I've been there with the housebound thing. It's no sort of life.
Yes, metabolism is very weird. I have no idea what's going on there, especially since being more active is said to reset your metabolism higher.
Apart from true weight loss on the elemental diet (if that's what you want) you get a flat stomach because no bloating. Yay! It's a big boost to the morale.
I wasn't trying to lose weight but did lose a couple of kilos because I wasn't hungry enough to drink all that was prescribed. It was truly painless.
And no, I am not being paid by the makers of Elemental 028. ;-).

Just joined the sprouted pea group. Your home made pea sprouter looks fantastic. All I have to do is find the peas now. I don't think split peas work?

This has been a really interesting and eye-opening thread. Thank you all so much for sharing what you've learned. Back in 2013 I did a week long juice fast then reintroduced foods, probably not as slowly as I should (by food group rather than any other plan). I did this on my own as I didn't have a nutritionist or even a Dr that would agree that food might be playing a role in my FM symptoms. It helped though and in the end I discovered that my body hates gluten, and doesn't really like eggs or dairy either. It's not a fan of processed foods in general. I did really well on a modified Paleo diet for a while and then this last year or so my gut has been reacting more and more to more and more things. It's not liking most FODMAPs (but a few are ok), nuts kills it, and inflammatory foods (nightshades, etc) don't do well either. Uncooked veggies, including my juice, give me terrible gas . It's so frustrating to feel like I'm going backwards after I did so well for so long.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources