evidence of gut-brain connection found

bobby

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-05/bawh-etg050616.php
study said:
New research by investigators at Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) suggests that bacteria living in the gut may remotely influence the activity of cells in the brain that are involved in controlling inflammation and neurodegeneration. Using pre-clinical models for multiple sclerosis (MS) and samples from MS patients, the team found evidence that changes in diet and gut flora may influence astrocytes in the brain, and, consequently, neurodegeneration, pointing to potential therapeutic targets.

Empty

Since cloud bacteria make it rain, who runs the world? Virus & bacteria.

Catchy.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It's just still amazing to me that something in your gut can affect what the glial cells in the brain are doing...

remotely influence the activity of cells in the brain that are involved in controlling inflammation and neurodegeneration.

The good news is that you may not have to get to the brain to affect it - you just to change the gut! So much easier to do (I hope)

Time for more of my home-made almond milk kefir!

TigerLilea

Has anyone tried doing Dr. Terry Wahl's diet that she designed for MS? She claims that it helps to rebuild a healthy gut microbiome that then helps to control inflammation.

bobby

Has anyone tried doing Dr. Terry Wahl's diet that she designed for MS? She claims that it helps to rebuild a healthy gut microbiome that then helps to control inflammation.
I've tried to incorporate quiet a few of the things she says. I can't seem to be able to tolerate the organ meat, or the bone broth. (Chicken broth does work.) I'm not sure if PWME without help from others can cope with all the veggie cutting?

No major progress made on it, just slight improvements here and there.

San Diego

I've tried to incorporate quiet a few of the things she says. I can't seem to be able to tolerate the organ meat, or the bone broth. (Chicken broth does work.) I'm not sure if PWME without help from others can cope with all the veggie cutting?

No major progress made on it, just slight improvements here and there.
Great point about cutting. I literally can’t do it. I am able to order many things already cut from a local organic farm.

What I can’t cut I just cram into a VitaMix and gag down the resultant slop. It’s a desperate times thing. :)

I have a hard time with bone broth, too - even in small amounts it completely undoes my, ahem, bowel.

I grew up on liver and onions, but just can’t do it now. Nope. I’m trying desiccated liver tablets.

I feel small improvements, like HA’s are much better. But that may be due to cutting out allergens and starting high doses of B’s with the nutritional yeast. Who knows.

bobby

Great point about cutting. I literally can’t do it. I am able to order many things already cut from a local organic farm.
I've been reading her newsletter for a while, but there's a lot of things we just can't do. Like getting ALL of your vegetables from your own organic garden (imagine that!). On top of that having a herb garden. Foraging for wild greens (even better!).

I would love to hear from people who have MS how they are doing on this diet. And if it's doable for them, cause I know one of the symptoms of MS is exhaustion.

San Diego

Foraging for wild greens (even better!)
File this under “Laugh of the Week”. haha. Just the word “foraging” alone is too much.

I would love to hear from people who have MS how they are doing on this diet. And if it's doable for them, cause I know one of the symptoms of MS is exhaustion.
I almost imagine that people who can do this are those with some sort of help? Wahl’s site and book have a lot of testimonials.

I’m in a “good” phase right now (maybe a 3? still housebound except doctor visits, but making it to my sofa most evenings.) so I’ve been able to implement almost of of the Paleo Plus. With help.

The farm cuts things, I cook one big pan of meat/veggies for the week (takes most of the day. Get stuff in pan. Rest. Turn on pan. Rest. Stir. Rest. Turn off stove. Rest. You get the idea).

I’ve liked the planning and knowing what to eat.

But ..... it’s all I do.

@Cort - can we move some of this to a separate Wahl’s diet thread? I think we’re WAY off topic? Thanks.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources