Excessive Gas

Matthew

Does anyone suffer from excessive gas? I am burping all of the time. It doesn't matter what I eat. I had the lactulose test recently and was positive for both hydrogen and methane SIBO. Antibiotics are not really helping.

Has anyone tried supplements, or a low FODMAP or paleo diet for this?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Carl#1

Burping ALL the time? Or burping while you are eating and for some time afterwards while the food is still in your stomach? I am trying to identify where the bacterial overgrowth really is. Have you ever heard of Urease? Urease is an enzyme which is produced by some micro-organisms which uses urea contained in saliva to produce ammonia which can neutralize acidity ie stomach acid. It can adversely affect the blood pH and is very damaging to health. There are herbs which can block the actions of the Urease enzyme.

There are some herbal treatments for SIBO which have been shown to be as effective as antibiotics in the treatment of SIBO.
Herbal Therapy Is Equivalent to Rifaximin for the Treatment of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth

Stomach acid production (hypochlorhydria) is the frequent cause of SIBO which is why I pointed out Urease which causes hypochlorhydria. Most CFS/ME/Fibro sufferers have hypochlorhydria but there is some dispute as to the cause of it.

There are a couple of very basic tests for hypochlorhydria and Urease. The first is to consume Sodium Bicarb and to time how long it takes you to burp. The 2nd is to prepare an acidic drink such as lemon juice or vinegar and another glass of sodium bicarb to neutralise the acidity in your mouth to protect your teeth. Then suck some saliva for a minute or two and keep swallowing it. Then drink the acid drink, if you have a straw then using them might help keep it away from your teeth. Then wash the sodium bicarb around your mouth BUT DO NOT SWALLOW any of it! It is only to neutralize any acid on your teeth, you do not want it to get into your stomach because it will react with the acid.

Then see if you burp, it should not take long, usually no more than a minute, 30 seconds is often enough. If you burp strongly then it tends to indicate the presence of Urease which reacts to the urea in the saliva to create ammonia and carbon dioxide when the ammonia reacts with the acid. Urease aids their survival in the acid environment of the stomach. Helicobacter Pylori is only one bacteria/micro-organism which is Urease positive, there are many more but with less Urease production capability.

https://livingfoods.co.uk/the-acid-test-by-philip-weeks/

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources