Fish oil improves brain glymphatic system

Remy

Administrator
New research published online in The FASEB Journalsuggests that omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are found in fish oil, could improve the function of the glymphatic system, which facilitates the clearance of waste from the brain, and promote the clearance of metabolites including amyloid-β peptides, a primary culprit in Alzheimer's disease.

To make this discovery, scientists first used transgenic fat-1 mice, which express high endogenous omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in the brain, to investigate the effect of omega-3 PUFAs on the clearance function of the glymphatic system. Compared to the wild-type mice, the fat-1 mice with enriched endogenous omega-3 PUFAs significantly promote the clearance function of the lymphatic system, including the Aβ clearance from the brain. Wild-type mice were supplemented with fish oil, which contains high concentrations of omega-3 PUFAs, and found that fish oil-supplemented mice also improved the clearance function of the glymphatic system compared to the control mice without fish oil supplementation.

Omega-3 PUFAs help maintain the brain homeostasis, which may provide benefits in a number of neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, traumatic brain injury, and sleep impairment, among others.

"These now-famous fatty acids have been the subject of major studies both in academia and industry. Just when we thought we had heard everything, here is something new, and it is provocative indeed," said Thoru Pederson, Ph.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "This study should not turn attention away from the roles of these substances in maintaining vascular health, but neither should they restrict our view. The brain is an extremely vascularized organ, while we might also bear in mind that omega-3 fatty acids may impact neurons, glia, and astrocytes themselves."
Story Source:
Materials provided by Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.
Journal Reference:
  1. H. Ren, C. Luo, Y. Feng, X. Yao, Z. Shi, F. Liang, J. X. Kang, J.-B. Wan, Z. Pei, H. Su. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids promote amyloid- clearance from the brain through mediating the function of the glymphatic system. The FASEB Journal, 2016; DOI: 10.1096/fj.201600896

ankaa

@Remy have you seen a good explanation of the brain's lymphatic / immune system anywhere? I trying to understand glial cells and lymph around the brain better.... looking for something very introductory and simple

thanks

Remy

Administrator
@Remy have you seen a good explanation of the brain's lymphatic / immune system anywhere? I trying to understand glial cells and lymph around the brain better.... looking for something very introductory and simple

thanks
I will look. Remind me if I forget with the holidays and all though!

Remy

Administrator
IMG_4601.PNG

thanks
Try here!

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...rstanding-of-the-brain-and-the-immune-system/

Remy

Administrator
Thanks for sharing this information. I recently came across an article which explains about the benefits of fish oil. Fish oil helps in boosting brain power and memory. It helps in improving bone health and preserves lean muscles in cancer patients. It also reduces the signs of aging. I regularly take fish oil supplements for better health.
You just have to be super careful that it is not rancid as most fish oil supplements are unfortunately. In that case, it's worse than not taking it. I try to eat fatty fish regularly and include cod liver oil in my diet over the capsules.

ankaa

I took an Rx fish oil called Lovaza... Subjectively, it seemed super pure, I didn't get any of the stomach upset or fish burps, or any other side effects that I got from OTC fish oil (regardless of purity promises). Hands down, the best fish oil is Lovaza. If you have good insurance, you just pay a co-pay which is cheaper than buying it..

Strike me lucky

Google charles poliquin who is a strength and conditioning and nutritionist to olympic medalists any many other professional sports athletes.

He has alot a good things to say about fishoil for inflammation, cholesterol, brain function, fat loss, etc. But recommends very large dose 30 to 45 fish oil pills daily. Do this for a few months then lower things down to 6 pills or so a day. He sayvthe fatter someone is the higher the dose required.

Read a few people try these dosez or just short of these doses started seeing things within 2 to 3 weeks with reduce pain etc but says its good for fatloss. Does mention fish oil and carnitine.

But very interesting talks on utube.

Remy

Administrator
Google charles poliquin who is a strength and conditioning and nutritionist to olympic medalists any many other professional sports athletes.

He has alot a good things to say about fishoil for inflammation, cholesterol, brain function, fat loss, etc. But recommends very large dose 30 to 45 fish oil pills daily. Do this for a few months then lower things down to 6 pills or so a day. He sayvthe fatter someone is the higher the dose required.

Read a few people try these dosez or just short of these doses started seeing things within 2 to 3 weeks with reduce pain etc but says its good for fatloss. Does mention fish oil and carnitine.

But very interesting talks on utube.
Poliquin is certainly an interesting character. One of my favorite quotes is from him, regarding carbohydrate intake.
IMG_4575.jpg

I think JJ Virgin also talks a lot about fish oil. She believes really large doses saved her son's life after he was hit by a car. I believe he took 20g/day. http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/fish-oil-grant-virgin-brain-damage.html

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources