Fivefold to eightfold increase in the incidence of ME from 1980 to 1989 - Pesticides.

Hip

One thing to think about though. At the time of the name creation the CDC estimates of CFS prevalence were really, really low I believe - too low I would think for the insurance companies to get involved.

I should think that the disability insurance companies will have their own radar for the number of new ME/CFS cases each year, because these companies will be receiving the actual insurance claims on these cases. So these companies will readily detect any increase in the yearly incidence.

CFS was created in 1988, so presumably by that stage, these insurance companies would have noticed a large increase in the annual number of insurance claims for ME/CFS, as the explosion in incidence occurred from the beginning of the 1980s.

For those who might think the CDC is in the pocket of the insurance companies

I am just guessing at how these insurance companies operates, but I imagine there would not be any systemic influence on the CDC by insurance companies; probably more something along the lines of trying to place one or two insurance-friendly personnel into the CDC committees and decision-making groups related to CFS, who then try their best to steer the decisions in a direction that benefits the insurance companies.

I imagine that may have been one of the reasons why Wessely later got involved with the CDC and shaping the CFS concept.

Wessely at one stage was evening trying to modify the World Health Organization ICD definition of myalgic encephalomyelitis, trying to reclassify ME as a psychologically-caused condition. Wessely claimed he had the authority to do this, but was reprimanded by the WHO for attempting it. The WHO told him that he did not, as he claimed, have the authority to issue a WHO ICD definition. This incident just shows how those like Wessely will simply try it on, and see what they can get away with.

Last edited:

Empty

Thank you, @Veet!

I wish lufenuron would kill ticks because that seems relatively benign.

We go for walks in the woods almost every day during the nice weather so we have to do something chemical unfortunately. The dogs are 65 lbs each and VERY HAIRY. I honestly cannot imagine the exertion of walking and then coming home for an hour or more of combing. I'd have to give up walks. :(

I can certainly see trying that method with cats though.

We are not doing the topical again though, if I can help it. My whole body was just screaming, "wrong"!!

@Remy, @Veet (great links thanks) do you think we should have a new thread for this subject as I have a bit to chip in. But interestingly, I feel dogs are not a problem at all because they can be bathed cats usually can not, so more tricky.

My holistic vet said if u have to absolubtely use chemicals use spray on the house, never use on the animals. I have used Capstar occassionally if I feel I can not keep up.

Now my mcs is flying under the radar, I was even considering weedkiller for the grass. After this timely reminder, I am rethinking but cannot find a solution!

Remy

Administrator
@Remy, @Veet (great links thanks) do you think we should have a new thread for this subject as I have a bit to chip in. But interestingly, I feel dogs are not a problem at all because they can be bathed cats usually can not, so more tricky.

My holistic vet said if u have to absolubtely use chemicals use spray on the house, never use on the animals. I have used Capstar occassionally if I feel I can not keep up.

Now my mcs is flying under the radar, I was even considering weedkiller for the grass. After this timely reminder, I am rethinking but cannot find a solution!
Yes, @Cort or @Stavya, could you please split this thread for us?

Hip

I finally got around to buying a cheap second-hand version of Hillary Johnson's book Osler's Web. On page 655 is says:
In April l994, however, one of the nation’s largest private providers of disability insurance, the UNUM Corporation, issued a press release revealing chronic fatigue syndrome claims to be the fastest-growing sector of their business. According to UNUM, claims for disability caused by CFS had increased 500 percent from 1989 to 1993, a bigger increase than any other category of disability.

During that five-year period, UNUM said, CFS-imposed disability had resulted in a 557 percent increase in claims by women; claims for CFS disability had risen 360 percent among men.

So it looks like it was in the early 1990s when insurance companies noticed this huge increase in ME/CFS cases.

So since the new disease of CFS was set up in 1988, perhaps this was initially done in innocence, with no ulterior motives. But then a few years later in the early 1990s when the insurance companies saw a 500% rise in ME/CFS disability claims, perhaps that's when the shenanigans began, in terms of trying to make CFS into a psychologically-caused condition in order to avoid paying disability support.

Last edited:

Who Me?

I forget when it was, 90's? but Unum wanted to make it so they didn't have to cover CFS claims because there was no diagnostic test.

UNUM, however, does not just try to limit claims for cfs. They will deny anyone, anytime they can for whatever reason they can think up. They denied an ophthalmic surgeon Disabilty because they said he could work. He had MS or Huntington's.

Read Linda Nee's blog. It's my bible and has helped me to keep Unum paying.

Reactions: Hip

Empty

Just found this castus tea link and it says it can be used to deter fleas and ticks on pets:

http://www.healthembassy.co.uk/site/item/2

It looks wildly useful doesn't it! Gonna get some.

Empty

Organic Apple Cider vinegar, mother tincture I would recommend as part of the solution to keeping fleas away. When I wash my dogs I always finish too with a jug of this mixture and leave it on.

I have wooden floor boards throughout so I think this is probably how I can do it though. I use a metal flea comb not a
useless plastic one. Radiator beds are useful for ease of washing. Regular hoovering and mopping floors and it is not too bad. It does seem to largely work...

Veet

Just found this castus tea link and it says it can be used to deter fleas and ticks on pets:

http://www.healthembassy.co.uk/site/item/2

It looks wildly useful doesn't it! Gonna get some.
I've just been referred to neem tea for flea repellent. Oil for dogs, dried herb for cats and their bedding.

"The safest flea control, otherwise, is making your own diluted, organic Neem Leaf Powder Tea Spray, applied twice per week. Look this up, it is holistic vet recommended and dosed."

Empty

a
I've just been referred to neem tea for flea repellent. Oil for dogs, dried herb for cats and their bedding.

"The safest flea cohttp://www.turmericlife.com.au/diatomaceous-earth-fleas/ntrol, otherwise, is making your own diluted, organic Neem Leaf Powder Tea Spray, applied twice per week. Look this up, it is holistic vet recommended and dosed."

Yes, just read a little on it and it looks useful.

I was just coming round to the DE after reading it in the article, then I read this and it has put me off it again:

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/diatomaceous-earth-fleas/

It suprises me the wide range of views of holistic vets. On the onehand he recomends golden turmeric paste forour pets and on the other, poisoning them.

Tried the new Mercola herbal flea collars. Made my eldest dog sick and didn't work at all. Got a refund. Like the idea of them, if only it were that simple.

http://shop.mercola.com/product/herbal-repellent-collar-for-large-dogs-1-collar,1487,548,0.htm

Last edited:

Veet

@Empty My 2 kittens were treated w/ Comfortis before they were released to me. When I looked it up, after naively purchasing it on the way home , I found references to side effects, and returned what I'd bought. That's why I decided to use flea comb + DE. In fact, it's working reasonably well, but I comb daily. I lifted up a cushion to shake it out, and beneath it, on the cat window seat (a synthetic fabric) saw a bunch of tiny crescent-shaped wrigglers: flea larvae. Good to have seen them, helps me understand the need for vigilance. I'll be mixing neem powder w/ DE for bedding areas and applying to coats. So far there's been no sneezing or any overt reaction to the dust......

Justin

I should think that the disability insurance companies will have their own radar for the number of new ME/CFS cases each year, because these companies will be receiving the actual insurance claims on these cases. So these companies will readily detect any increase in the yearly incidence.

CFS was created in 1988, so presumably by that stage, these insurance companies would have noticed a large increase in the annual number of insurance claims for ME/CFS, as the explosion in incidence occurred from the beginning of the 1980s.

I am just guessing at how these insurance companies operates, but I imagine there would not be any systemic influence on the CDC by insurance companies; probably more something along the lines of trying to place one or two insurance-friendly personnel into the CDC committees and decision-making groups related to CFS, who then try their best to steer the decisions in a direction that benefits the insurance companies.

I imagine that may have been one of the reasons why Wessely later got involved with the CDC and shaping the CFS concept.

Wessely at one stage was evening trying to modify the World Health Organization ICD definition of myalgic encephalomyelitis, trying to reclassify ME as a psychologically-caused condition. Wessely claimed he had the authority to do this, but was reprimanded by the WHO for attempting it. The WHO told him that he did not, as he claimed, have the authority to issue a WHO ICD definition. This incident just shows how those like Wessely will simply try it on, and see what they can get away with.

Do you have A link to this Wessely trying to to change the ICD code?

What a joke....

Empty

@Empty My 2 kittens were treated w/ Comfortis before they were released to me. When I looked it up, after naively purchasing it on the way home , I found references to side effects, and returned what I'd bought. That's why I decided to use flea comb + DE. In fact, it's working reasonably well, but I comb daily. I lifted up a cushion to shake it out, and beneath it, on the cat window seat (a synthetic fabric) saw a bunch of tiny crescent-shaped wrigglers: flea larvae. Good to have seen them, helps me understand the need for vigilance. I'll be mixing neem powder w/ DE for bedding areas and applying to coats. So far there's been no sneezing or any overt reaction to the dust......

Ah, two kittens :). I expect a lot are blind to the side effects of these products. Certainly, staff pretend non exist.
Yes, vigilance and cleaning are key and the side effects highly motivate me.....Let me know how the neem goes and I will the castus tea...I am ordering it today. I have feral cats come in also and they sometimes bring in fleas... capstar.

I wonder if in part my recovery from mcs has come from not using these products anymore and also stripping my home from all third hand smoke wallpaper and furniture from previous owners. Third hand smoke!!!

Hip

Do you have A link to this Wessely trying to to change the ICD code?

What a joke....

On www.hfme.org it says:
Wessely was also recently reprimanded by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for attempting to subvert the ICD definition of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis due to the fact that he did not, as he claimed, have the authority to issue a WHO definition (Hooper 2003a, [Online]) (Hooper et al. 2001, [Online]) (Marshall & Williams 2005a, [Online]).

In this 2003 document written by Prof Malcolm Hooper, it says:
The WHO Guide to Mental Health in Primary Care: Wessely’s determination to eradicate ME as a legitimate medical disorder seems never to cease. In 1997 he deliberately included ME in the WHO Guide to Mental Health in Primary Care.

This Guide, available to all GPs in the UK, was produced by the UK WHO Collaborating Centre at the IOP, so it legitimately bore the WHO logo. However, Wessely’s covert re-classification of ME was effected without the approval of the World Health Assembly and the WHO has confirmed in writing that what Wessely published about the classification of ME in the UK Guide to Mental Health in Primary Care did not carry WHO approval

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources