Galactose boosts aerobic metabolism and supports detox

Remy

Administrator
It seems like galactose would be an good choice to trial in MECFS given the recent research regarding the pyruvate dehydrogenase block...it has been used to detoxify ammonia in Lyme patients for years.

“They also showed that anaerobic glycolysis was decreased, demonstrated by reduced production of lactate probably caused by an increased production of pyruvate through galactose metabolism.”

It also increased mitochondrial capacity..."Both the mitochondrial content (figure 5B) and the amount of neutral lipids (figure 5C) were increased by 65% and 45%, respectively, after exposure to galactose compared to glucose."

It's probably not great for ketosis but it's also short lived and ultimately metabolic flexibility is the goal anyway. It does seem to improve insulin sensitivity though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3613401/#!po=52.7778

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It seems like galactose would be an good choice to trial in MECFS given the recent research regarding the pyruvate dehydrogenase block...it has been used to detoxify ammonia in Lyme patients for years.

“They also showed that anaerobic glycolysis was decreased, demonstrated by reduced production of lactate probably caused by an increased production of pyruvate through galactose metabolism.”

It also increased mitochondrial capacity..."Both the mitochondrial content (figure 5B) and the amount of neutral lipids (figure 5C) were increased by 65% and 45%, respectively, after exposure to galactose compared to glucose."

It's probably not great for ketosis but it's also short lived and ultimately metabolic flexibility is the goal anyway. It does seem to improve insulin sensitivity though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3613401/#!po=52.7778
Interesting...that sounds really good. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it yet. have you tried it?

In nature, lactose is found primarily in milk and milk products. Consequently, various food products made with dairy-derived ingredients, e.g. breads and cereals, can contain lactose.[3] Galactose metabolism, which converts galactose into glucose, is carried out by the three principal enzymes in a mechanism known as the Leloir pathway. The enzymes are listed in the order of the metabolic pathway: galactokinase (GALK), galactose-1-phosphate uridyltransferase (GALT), and UDP-galactose-4’-epimerase (GALE).

Remy

Administrator
Interesting...that sounds really good. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it yet. have you tried it?
Yes, I'm on day 3. I've been taking 5g twice a day. It agrees with me so far but it is expensive so I'll need to stop it and see if it actually is helping or if I'm just feeling better in general.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources