Genital Herpes Reactivates while on AV's

Who Me?

This probably has implications for those of us who know our ME/Cfs is viral.

"According to a study in which three trials of antiviral therapy to treat genital herpes were combined, the herpes simplex virus type 2/HSV-2 can reactivate in 'breakthrough episodes' even when doses of antiviral therapy are high. The study is published Online First in The Lancet and suggests that new therapies should be conducted to successfully prevent further transmission of this common infection, which affects one in five people."

More below

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240031.php

Paw

You've got me thinking I should see if my rheumatologist can have me tested for herpes.

I'm always on the lookout in my rear-view mirror for what might have led me to chronic illness. Now I'm remembering a long-term relationship with someone who had genital herpes. This was way back when everyone thought herpes would not transmit to others while no symptoms were present, so I considered my risk low.

Now, I am rife with autonomic symptoms (and neuropathy), chronic hives are associated with my FM/CFS flare-ups, and mouth sores are associated with my drug allergies.

Maybe I should finally get serious about looking into this viral stuff.

Who Me?

I think it's something to seriously look at. I know for sure that my ME was caused by a virus. I have had positive results using antivirals. When I had a reactivation (didn't know what it was at the time) 2 days on high dose Famvir knocked it back.

I think getting tested for herpes viruses is a good idea. EBV, HHV6, CMV. There may be some others to test @Strike me lucky may be able to advise which specific tests to get. I know some are more accurate than others.

Last edited:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This probably has implications for those of us who know our ME/Cfs is viral.

"According to a study in which three trials of antiviral therapy to treat genital herpes were combined, the herpes simplex virus type 2/HSV-2 can reactivate in 'breakthrough episodes' even when doses of antiviral therapy are high. The study is published Online First in The Lancet and suggests that new therapies should be conducted to successfully prevent further transmission of this common infection, which affects one in five people."

More below

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240031.php
Jeez.. so much for antiviral therapy! Those bugs are tough!

Maybe that's why Pridgen's protocol - combining anti-inflammatory with the antiviral - may work better. You need to hit it from more angles. Thanks for bringing this up - anything with herpes viruses is of interest.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
You've got me thinking I should see if my rheumatologist can have me tested for herpes.

I'm always on the lookout in my rear-view mirror for what might have led me to chronic illness. Now I'm remembering a long-term relationship with someone who had genital herpes. This was way back when everyone thought herpes would not transmit to others while no symptoms were present, so I considered my risk low.

Now, I am rife with autonomic symptoms (and neuropathy), chronic hives are associated with my FM/CFS flare-ups, and mouth sores are associated with my drug allergies.

Maybe I should finally get serious about looking into this viral stuff.
Chronic hives! What about histamine - could you have mast cell reactivation syndrome (MAST)

Folk

Jeez.. so much for antiviral therapy! Those bugs are tough!

Maybe that's why Pridgen's protocol - combining anti-inflammatory with the antiviral - may work better. You need to hit it from more angles. Thanks for bringing this up - anything with herpes viruses is of interest.
Dr. Montoya is also using Celebrex + AV on his patients for some time.
Clebrex is supposed to cross the Blood brain barrier.

And well not to discredit Dr. Pridgen, but Dr. Montoya is Dr. Montoya hehe

Last edited:

Who Me?

I was unknowingly on Pridgens protocol for over 6 months. Not sure if it helped. Celebrex makes me really I'll. Pridgens uses all sorts of combinations.

@Cort what you have to remember is how crap you'd feel without antivirals. They aren't killing the bugs just stopping them from replicating.

I would still be flattened if I didn't have Famvir to get me through an ebv reactivation. If think this holds true for lots of viruses.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources