1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Gluten Sensitivity Increased in ME/CFS: Celiac Disease Not: Take the Poll

Discussion in 'Diet and Improving Your Gut' started by Cort, Mar 24, 2018.

Tags:
?

Gluten Free Diets

1. A gluten free diet reduced my stomach and/or other symptoms

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. A gluten free diet had little or not effect on my symptoms

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I haven't tried a gluten free diet but plan to at some point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't plan to try a gluten free diet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

Markers of non-coeliac wheat sensitivity in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.Melanie Uhde1,2,Alyssa C Indart1, Xuechen B Yu1,3, Sophie S Jang1,3, Roberto De Giorgio4, Peter H R Green1,2, Umberto Volta4,Suzanne D Vernon5, Armin Alaedini1,2,3

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2018/03/17/gutjnl-2018-316133

This published "letter" reported on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity in about 130 ME/CFS patients. It found increased rates of gluten sensitivity in ME/CFS but not celiac disease. The rates of gluten sensitivity (GS) were not that high (15%) but enough for anyone who has gut symptoms - gut symptoms were correlated with GS in this study - to consider removing gluten products from their diet and seeing what happens.

Accordingly, the algorithm identified one (0.76%) patient with ME/CFS and two (2.3%) control subjects as belonging to the coeliac disease group (P=0.3). In contrast, 20 (15.3%) patients with ME/CFS and 4 (4.6%) control subjects were categorised in the NCWS group (P=0.015). There was also a significant correlation between the calculated NCWS probability and the GI symptom severity total score in patients with ME/CFS (r=0.231, P=0.011).

Our results suggest that there may be a subset of patients with ME/CFS who have sensitivity to wheat and related cereals in the absence of coeliac disease, with potential relevance to some of their symptoms. ME/CFS is recognised as a condition with a spectrum of clinical phenotypes and underlying aetiologies. Characterisation of patients into subsets based on clinical and biological data is essential to gaining a better understanding of the condition and identifying useful biomarkers and therapeutic targets. The results of this analysis provide a rationale for examining the clinical and therapeutic relevance of food sensitivity, particularly NCWS, in the context of ME/CFS in future studies.

2. Paw

Paw Well-Known Member

Yep, I've looked at this pretty closely. After a couple decades of IBS (as in 10-20 BMs per day) blood tests showed one possible marker for celiac. Endoscopy, however, came up clean. Over the past few years I've given up gluten except for some trial periods. Each time gluten clearly caused my symptoms (including abdominal pain) to return. So now it's permanently out of my life. I cheat once every other month or so without consequences. But more regular consumption is unambiguously bad.

My IBS symptoms are not fully cured, but they are reduced by at least half. Duloxetine also made a clear improvement. It's hard to judge the extent that an IBS flare impacts the rest of my CFS/FM symptoms, but it certainly doesn't help.

3. Cort

I can cheat too a bit without problems altho I suspect gluten causes fatigue. I never eat it regularly

4. Creekside

Creekside Member

I did go completely gluten free for at least several months. It had no effect on my symptoms. At that time I was trying to avoid tryptophan and niacin rather than gluten. High-gluten meals don't bother me.

Abrin likes this.
  5. Cort

I think its possible that the rate of gluten intolerance is lower than we think; it's there, but lower than we think.

6. Abrin

Abrin Well-Known Member

I haven't really noticed a difference whether or I eat gluten or not. Lately, I've been experimenting with eating less carbs though.

7. Folk

Folk Well-Known Member

I can't vote since I changed so much together I don't know what made what.

But my view on this is: gluten is posion for anyone and no one needs poison, but we, specially, need even less...
    I try to undestand as much as I can about nutrition to have the best diet I can figure.