Got Migraines? Check Your Thyroid

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It's not placebo controlled but this study suggests that migraineurs with "subclinical hypothyroidism" (probably common on ME/CFS) may be able to substantially benefit from thyroid medication.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/882456?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=223754CV

Patients with migraine who have subclinical hypothyroidism and receive thyroid treatment have significantly fewer and less severe headaches, new research shows.

"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study showing that treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism was effective in reducing both the frequency and severity of migraine attacks and improved the quality of life in patients," said study investigator Antonasia Bougea, PhD, Department of Neurology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School and Eginition Hospital, Athens, Greece.

The results suggest that patients with migraine should undergo thyroid function tests, said Dr Bougea.
The findings were presented here at the Congress of the European Academy of Neurology (EAN) 2017.

Subclinical hypothyroidism was defined as thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) greater than 4.5 mU/L and normal thyroxine (T4) levels of 4.5 to 13 µg/dL.

The analysis showed that migraine severity was significantly reduced from a mean of 6.54 to 1.23 (P = .001). In addition, the monthly migraine frequency was reduced from a mean of 14.68 to 1.86 Â (P < .001).

The duration of migraines was also decreased from a mean of 186 hours to 1.44 hours (P = .09).

These results "are important," said Dr Bougea. "Improvement after levothyroxine has not yet been recorded."

A comparison of domains of the SF-36 showed that the treatment also had a positive effect on quality of life, including such areas as limitations due to physical health or emotional problems.

Merida

I was shocked to read of all the potential hypothyroid symptoms - including high blood pressure !!! Interesting that it is well appreciated that EBV and other viruses can cause thyroiditis.

What a complex mess.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources