Gulf War Illness Vagus Nerve Trial Could Pave Way for Fibromyalgia

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I read that VNS should occur on the left side of the neck to avoid any heart issues. This is the reason I have not tried to self hack my vagus nerve with my Tens or Liss. There is one report of death I read from auricular acupuncture to stimulate the VN (might have been the right ear, I can't remember).
Ouch!

In his GWS study Natelson is having them use the GammaCore device on both sides of the neck by the way...

A POTS study using vagus nerve stimulator should be coming out pretty soon. They couldn't get a company to give them a device so they had to build one of their own (lol)

Ouch!

In his GWS study Natelson is having them use the GammaCore device on both sides of the neck by the way...

A POTS study using vagus nerve stimulator should be coming out pretty soon. They couldn't get a company to give them a device so they had to build one of their own (lol)
Cool! My CES sure got rid of my POTS toot sweet (for maybe 5 hours after use last week), but I do wonder if it could affect the vagus via the limbic system. I'm hopeful about VNS :).

Cool! My CES sure got rid of my POTS toot sweet (for maybe 5 hours after use last week), but I do wonder if it could affect the vagus via the limbic system. I'm hopeful about VNS :).
I talked to my neurologist yesterday, who told me GammaCore was only a few mos away from approval and that he'd prescribe one for my migraines, so I'll report back after I try it :)

grizzly

I am very interested in this research. It sounds very promising. I have GWI and suffer from many unexplained illnesses. The latest which has begun to become more and more debilitating is the nerve type pain and fibromyalgia.

I have begun to isolate it to issues with trigeminal neuralgia and vagus nerve stimulation.

I hope eventually they discover some effective treatment for this.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Check out the intranasal insulin thread as well. It seems to be helping some people with GWI.
I am very interested in this research. It sounds very promising. I have GWI and suffer from many unexplained illnesses. The latest which has begun to become more and more debilitating is the nerve type pain and fibromyalgia.

I have begun to isolate it to issues with trigeminal neuralgia and vagus nerve stimulation.

I hope eventually they discover some effective treatment for this.

grizzly

Check out the intranasal insulin thread as well. It seems to be helping some people with GWI.
I had inquired with this study when it originally came out. At the time they couldn't cover any form of travel expenses and it was going to be very expensive with multiple trips. I could not participate unfortunately.

FWIW, all of my issues / symptoms point to several forms of neuralgia. While I am not a physician, I am able to pinpoint areas of exacerbation that seem to be causing my problems.

One area is seems to be the Vagus nerve. I feel like this affects the IBS as well as the fibro like pains. The other area of influence is the trigeminal nerve which causes intense headache flare ups followed by intense body pain sensations. This is all followed by the emptying of my bowels.

I cannot determine which is occurring first or if they are related at all or...if one nerve condition is stimulating another.

Here are some points to ponder...I have been diagnosed with Small Fiber Neuropathy and I'm non-diabetic. I also have ME / Fibromyalgia. I've never been diagnosed with CFS but I'm sure I have it. The VA is very apprehensive on some diagnosis'.

Everything points to chemical exposures. It's interesting also that all of my lab work is 100% normal. And I have had a lot of lab work!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources