Guys Get Fibromyalgia Too: Guys with Fibro Story

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It's not just women. Guys get fibro too and Counting with Spoons relates a guy with FM story.

Tell us a little about yourself:

I’m single. I was engaged before I was diagnosed and had any symptoms. As soon as things really started progressing, I ended up losing everything. I was working in an Aluminum Foundry, a very hot and dangerous line of work and after about a year and a half of putting my body through immense physical exertion I began having a very sharp radiating pain in my left shoulder. It was due to an extended nub of bone on my clavicle bone that was literally being ground down and creating bone spurs in my rotator cuff. I needed the surgery and it did not go well. I wasn’t healing afterwards and the pain was so intense because they had to shave off about 6mm’s of my bone.

My job let me burn up all vacation, sick pay, gave me every chance to get back to work but I just couldn’t and ended up losing my job. I haven’t been able to work since. I don’t have any children, have always had tons of pets but have bounced around a lot lately so had to let mine go with my ex when she finally left me.

I am a musician. I play drums, guitar, I DJ’d in a night club, went to lots of concerts. I was always the life of the party, a complete extrovert!

What lead up to your diagnosis?

After the shoulder surgery, I began to notice that I was very fatigued suddenly. I attributed it to just everything else that was going on. Then the all over body aches really started, the acute pain with minor touch, the achy days where I just wanted to stay in bed. I had a 2nd shoulder surgery in 2009 in hopes to fix the problems but it all just got worse. I was then referred to pain management, and after describing my symptoms they sent me to a Rheumatologist in June of 09 and he did xrays, blood tests, and then a pressure point test. His conclusion was Fibromyalgia as well as a severe vitamin D deficiency.

Read the rest of it here: http://countingmyspoons.com/2015/08/guys-with-fibromyalgia-johnnytribs/

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources