Has anyone tried Hypoxia "training"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nico, May 1, 2019.

1. Nico

Nico Member

When I first got sick 13 years ago, I read something by Dr. Paul Cheney. He recommended a sort of "DIY" hypoxia training.

I've recently discovered that athletes are now starting to use hypoxia masks. I am considering buying one to try. I don't have an exact idea of how I would use it. But, thinking trying it for 5 - 10 minutes a day (2xs a day perhaps) during rest or walking to the bathroom.

Would love to know if anyone here has tried intermittent hypoxia "training" - and whether or not it helped in any way. Either short and/or long term effects.

I found the article. He talks about a rebreather mask, which I think has the same effect as the masks people are wearing to work out to imitate high altitude. It's an old article. Even so...?

https://www.prohealth.com/library/d...r-protocol-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-19888

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  2. Not dead yet!

Not dead yet! Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this. I'll be interested to know if it works, if you try it.

Nico likes this.
  3. Nico

Nico Member

I haven't yet @Not dead yet! ... I was thinking about buying an "elevation" mask to try. I'm not sure that they make them latex free...which is what I would prefer. Also, I'm not sure if it's just a gimmick or if they do really imitate "elevation". I need to look into it more.

4. AndyMick

AndyMick New Member

i use a hypoxicator. I've had some improvement but not got consistent results yet. I find going to higher altitude works far better which is against the normal behaviour in CFS/ME. Even 300m (1000ft) can produce a small benefit.

5. Remy

Remy Administrator

Look at The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown. His breathing exercises mimic training at altitude. I think there is some benefit to consciously changing breath patterns vs putting on a mask.