Help understanding CellTrend antibodies?

Discussion in 'Dysautonomia - Problems Standing, POTS, NMH, etc' started by Remy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Remy

Remy Administrator

I recently did the CellTrend testing for CFS/POTS...came up with two positive results, so I'm trying to figure out what my next steps might be.

I don't think I understand exactly how these antibodies work...or what treatments might be most effective. Does anyone have any good sources of information on this?

Here is the full list of the antibodies tested with my positive results in bold:

• Beta-1 adrenergic receptor auto-antibodies
    • Beta-2 adrenergic receptor auto-antibodies
    • Muscarinic cholinergic (M1) receptor auto-antibodies
    • Muscarinic cholinergic (M2) receptor auto-antibodies
    • Muscarinic cholinergic (M3) receptor auto-antibodies
    • Muscarinic cholinergic (M4) receptor auto-antibodies
    • Muscarinic cholinergic (M5) receptor auto-antibodies
    • Alpha-1 adrenergic receptor auto-antibodies
    • Alpha-2 adrenergic receptor auto-antibodies
    From this article:
    but then this:

Midodrine is an alpha 1 agonist...so does that mean that the antibody is actually blocking the receptor site, keeping it from functioning properly? Or is it activating it, in which case an alpha 1 blocker might seem to make more sense? It seems like the two quotes are actually contradictory.

So wouldn't it be likely that blocking the exaggerated catecholamine response would improve symptoms? Is there a good way to do this?

Does this also go along with the lowered levels of neuropeptide Y that have been reported in cases of lowered resilience to stress and PTSD? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8752116

2. smtl

smtl Member

I've got 11/11 positive. But I'm not completely sure if the test is reliable. I've mailed one doctor mentioned in https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...energic-muscarinic-receptor-antibodies.46698/ about that.

Remy likes this.
  3. Remy

Remy Administrator

4. smtl

smtl Member

They've answered that it couldn't be false-positive and that no re-testing needs to be done. I trust them, just not sure what to do next :) I've asked them if they could recommend some doctors who could consult me further on that.

Remy likes this.
  5. Issie

Issie Well-Known Member

I'm in a study with the Dr's Lights at University of Utah. She checked these antibodies on me and said I was okay. I don't have the test results, just her telling me this. I know they are doing research on this and I think Dr Bateman may be. You could contact them.
    I have high NE levels with standing. It is probably a compensation to help blood flow. When I suppressed it, I got much worse. A lot of POTS people use middodrine if they have low blood pressures. It helps constrict blood vessels and they say it helps them. For me, it was one of the worst things I tried. We are all different. Hard to know how you'd react. Sort of a trial and error thing.
    Issie