Help with diet

madie

I'm trying to construct a low histamine diet I can stick with, and I have 2 questions:

Are all leftovers restricted, or only proteins? I've been freezing meat immediately after cooking, and can't figure out if I need to do the same with grains and vegetables.

I'm traveling to Ohio in June for my mother's memorial service. Are there any safe food choices in restaurants? I can check menus ahead of time and pick my restaurant, and I don't mind eating nothing but "sides."

Remy

Administrator
I'm trying to construct a low histamine diet I can stick with, and I have 2 questions:

Are all leftovers restricted, or only proteins? I've been freezing meat immediately after cooking, and can't figure out if I need to do the same with grains and vegetables.

I'm traveling to Ohio in June for my mother's memorial service. Are there any safe food choices in restaurants? I can check menus ahead of time and pick my restaurant, and I don't mind eating nothing but "sides."
There isn't really a hard and fast rule on leftovers. Some people can handle some and other people have trouble. You just have to see what your own tolerance is for these items, unfortunately. I never had issues with leftover vegetables personally.

I think your safest choice might be plain chicken or lamp and a green salad without dressing? Maybe take along a bottled salad dressing that you know you can tolerate and order a side of some safe veg too.

I'd also think about taking an antihistamine before meals just for a little extra protection. Are you on Gastrocrom?

madie

No, I don't take any medications; my situation is very irritating but not dangerous. I should have said 'compliant' foods rather than 'safe.' I'm taking quercetin, mangosteen, and vitamin C.

Thanks for the food advice.

November Girl

I take supplemental DAO when eating questionable food. DAO breaks down histamine in the stomach. Our bodies make some, enough for most people.

GrammaLinda

There are some food items that do not keep well at all. Rice is one. It molds very quickly. Another is the melons. Especially cantaloupe. It contains a high mold count. Honeydew does not keep well at all.

Red meat has never been a problem but watch out for chicken and turkey. I think more acidic foods last longer.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources