Here's mine, what are other's antioxidant supps

Strike me lucky

This is what i have been taking for awhile but i wonder what others are using as there antioxidant program.

Vit E (mixed tocerophils?) 400iu twice a day
Vit C 1000mg slow release twice a day
N Acetyl Cysteine 600mg twice a day
Alpha lipoic acid 300mg twice a day
CoQ10 400mg morning
Acetl l carnitine 1000mg morning

I do experiment with other herbs etc that help immune function but the above is what i use as my main antioxidants. q10 and carnitine i only take in the morning as they can be somewhat stimulating especially at night.
Im still yet to try resveratrol, its on my list of things to try, one day.

Who Me?

When do you have time to eat? Do you think any of these are helping you?

I take 2 of these. Tocopherols and NAC. I can't take ALCAR or Reseveratrol and I think I had a problem with ALA.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is what i have been taking for awhile but i wonder what others are using as there antioxidant program.

CoQ10 400mg morning

I do experiment with other herbs etc that help immune function but the above is what i use as my main antioxidants. q10 and carnitine i only take in the morning as they can be somewhat stimulating especially at night.
How are they working for you?

Strike me lucky

How are they working for you?

Hi Cort,
I have been taking them along time. Its one of those things where its hard to say how much its helping but must be doing something.

I have had cfs since 2002 and mostly been able to continue working and currently still working part time. I look at alot of these supplements as reducing any damage from oxidative stress.

Somethings like q10 and carnitine i use because there are studies showing cfsers are low in these nutrients but will say both of those i have had noticeble energy increases initially but overtime i think they still help but just dont notice it as much.

Subtle effects i think is what we get with many antioxidant supps which hopefully over the long term do their job??

Remy

Administrator
Vit C/D/E
ALA
L Carnitine
Lutein
Omega 3s
Ashwagandha
Hops
Selenium
CoQ10
Pine Cone Extract

Basically everything that works on inflammation can also be considered an antioxidant...so in my inflammation lowering protocol, most of my supps fit the bill.

Linda B

CoQ10 400mg morning

Hi 'strike me lucky'!

Linda B

Hi All,
A few comments...
The type of Co Q 10 can make a difference ....Ubiquinol is supposedly the most easily absorbed and best taken with oily food as it is a fat soluable vitamin. It is OF COURSE more expensive than other forms of CoQ10 so I guess you just have to do some research.

No one mentions anything like turmeric/cur cumin as an anti inflammatory, even ginger. In India it is common for people to start the day with some Curcumin in water as an antiinflammatory. (It is available in quite concentrated forms in health stores now (but I sometimes wonder if too much is just unnatural!) but have no experience with them. I do add the spice to rice, quinoa, omelette etc as it supposedly has great anti inflammatory properties. A heaped teaspoon in a cup and a half of rice or quinoa....with some cumin too....delicious. And a great colour!

Another spanner for all you guys....with the number of supplements you take keep an eye on your liver functions...if that is compromised you might just be backing things up and causing more chaos in your troubled bodies. The standard blood tests will only alert you to liver issues quite late when damage is done! Whilst livers do have a propensity to repair they need the right conditions to do so. Get a liver profile done. That's how we discovered my daughter needed a variety of things different to what she was currently taking....at least for a while.

Linda B

CoQ10 400mg morning

CoQ10 400mg morning

hi, resveratrol can reduce your copper levels, which naturally influences iron levels. Do some research I reckon.

Remy

Administrator
No one mentions anything like turmeric/cur cumin as an anti inflammatory, even ginger.
I've tried this a number of times in a number of different ways without any success.
Disappointing because it does have such a good reputation for helping with inflammation. But it just did not work for me.
I'll keep eating Indian food though!

Who Me?

Aside from the fact that I can't tolerate ubiquinol, I have never noticed any differnce with any supplement I've taken.

Linda B

CoQ10 400mg morning

I've read NAC should be taken away from food as it is 'delicate ' and should be absorbed/digested without competition from other stomach contents.

Linda B

Aside from the fact that I can't tolerate ubiquinol, I have never noticed any differnce with any supplement I've taken.
Hi Minx,
Can you let me know what the effects of the Ubiquinol are, please. ( I am sorry to hear it does not help you.) it is useful to know in case people are having reactions which they may not be associating with the Ubiquinol. Thanks.

Who Me?

I can't remember because it was a few years ago. But if I hadn't gotten sick from it I'd be taking it now instead of regular Coq10.

I also have a bad reaction to ole, alcar and a bunch of other things I cant remember right now That's why I have problem with blanket statements about what people should take.

Because everyone has different reactions to things, its wise to start only one thing at time. Then it's easier to look back and see what was new when problems start.

And as I said, I'm not aware of anything I ever took making any difference. I think some people, like me, are far too sick to have any supplement really help. I'm still plugging away for now.

Issie

Hi All,
A few comments...
The type of Co Q 10 can make a difference ....Ubiquinol is supposedly the most easily absorbed and best taken with oily food as it is a fat soluable vitamin. It is OF COURSE more expensive than other forms of CoQ10 so I guess you just have to do some research.

No one mentions anything like turmeric/cur cumin as an anti inflammatory, even ginger. In India it is common for people to start the day with some Curcumin in water as an antiinflammatory. (It is available in quite concentrated forms in health stores now (but I sometimes wonder if too much is just unnatural!) but have no experience with them. I do add the spice to rice, quinoa, omelette etc as it supposedly has great anti inflammatory properties. A heaped teaspoon in a cup and a half of rice or quinoa....with some cumin too....delicious. And a great colour!

Another spanner for all you guys....with the number of supplements you take keep an eye on your liver functions...if that is compromised you might just be backing things up and causing more chaos in your troubled bodies. The standard blood tests will only alert you to liver issues quite late when damage is done! Whilst livers do have a propensity to repair they need the right conditions to do so. Get a liver profile done. That's how we discovered my daughter needed a variety of things different to what she was currently taking....at least for a while.
Believe it or not turmeric is tasty in coffee. Don't know why I tried it. But that with coconut creamer and stevia. Yum.

Issie

Linda B

What all is tested in this liver profile outside of the typical AST, ALT, GGT?
You do a two day 'fast' from tea and coffee, then you have paracetamol and caffeine tables and overnight urine collection. From this they can determine your clearance pathways and various liver phase functions. For instance, one phase is working to break down your toxins but if the second phase is not working then you will be backing up even more toxic stuff in your system, they also give recommendations of what your options are to assist the various phases if they are not functioning.( In Australia you have to pay for the test, it's about $140 from memory and you send off a small sample of the urine to the lab in Sydney? Melbourne? ) Anyway, pretty sure they must run these test in other places.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources