Histamine intolerance and genetics

Who Me?

another post about B6 mentions the Dao mutation

Please read through part 1 for more background on Histamine Intolerance. For a good overview of histamine intolerance, visit the Histamine Pirate site: Histamine Intolerance.

Causes of Histamine Intolerance

There are three main causes of histamine intolerance: too little DAO enzyme to breakdown histamines, too much histamine from gut microbes, or problems with histamine receptors.

Histamines are broken down and excreted through the diamine oxidase enzyme (DAO) and the histamine methyltransferase (HMNT) enzyme.

The DAO (diamine oxidase) enzyme metabolizes histamine into imidazole acetic acid. Genetic polymorphisms of the ABP1 gene can affect how much DAO enzyme is produced. Some of the polymorphisms that are included with 23andMe results are listed below. There are several other polymorphisms related to DAO production that are not included with 23andMe v.4 testing. [ref] [ref]

Check your 23andMe results for rs10156191:

• CC: normal
  • CT: reduced production of DAO
  • TT: reduced production of DAO

Check your 23andMe results for rs1049742:

• CT: reduced production of DAO
  • TT: reduced production of DAO

Check your 23andMe results for rs1049793:

• CG: reduced production of DAO
  • GG: reduced production of DAO [ref]

HNMT (histamine n-methyltransferase) is a gene that regulates histamine through metabolizing it from histamine to N-methylhisamine. Again, there are other mutations with the HNMT gene that are not included with 23andMe.

Check your 23andMe results for rs1050891:

• AG: reduced breakdown of histamine compared to GG
  • AA: reduced breakdown of histamine compared to GG [ref]

According to a 2006 study, those with CT for rs11558538 have reduced HNMT activity. This SNP is identified on 23andMe as i300469. The wildtype is C.

Check your 23andMe results for i300469:

• CT: reduced breakdown of histamine compared to CC
  • CC: normal [ref]

Methylation Cycle:

The methylation cycle plays a role in breaking down monoamine neurotransmitters including histamine. So looking at your methylation cycle issues can also help with balancing out a histamine intolerance. For anyone taking nicotinamide (also called niacinamide), here is an interesting research paper looking at the increase in plasma histamine level after taking 100 mg of nicotinamide.

Histamine Receptors:

The other side of the histamine equation is the histamine receptors to which histamine binds.

H1: smooth muscle, endothelium (cells lining the inside of blood vessels and lymph vessels), central nervous system tissue, mast cells (discovered in 1966)

H2 -Gastrointestinal, vascular smooth muscle tissue (walls of blood vessels), mast cells H2 receptors are blocked by Tagamet. (discovered in 1972) “H2 receptors mediate histamine stimulation of gastric acid secretion and may be involved in cardiac stimulation”

H3 – Central nervous system and some peripheral nervous system, mast cells (discovered in 1987) “feedback inhibitors in CNS”

H4 -bone marrow, basophils (type of white blood cell), thymus, small intestine, spleen, colon, mast cells (discovered in 2001) “considered to have a role in a number of inflammatory disorders such as allergy, asthma, chronic puritus and autoimmune diseases” [ref]

In the intestines, which is the body’s largest immune organ, mainly three types of histamine receptors have been found: H1, H2, and H4. Low levels of H3 were found in intestinal samples in a few of the study participants. Interestingly, those with food allergies and IBS had significantly higher levels of H1 and H2 receptors in their intestines. [ref]

There are genetic variations that contribute to the distribution of histamine receptors. Could that play a role in histamine intolerance?

Mast Cells:

Mast cells are the storage site for histamine in most tissue. Allergens cause mast cells to burst (degranulate) and release histamine. Large numbers of mast cells are in the skin, bronchial tree mucosa, and intestinal mucosa. Some think that histamine intolerance is a subset of MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome).

http://www.geneticlifehacks.com/histamine-intolerance-genetics-part-2/

Remy

Administrator
I'm AA too and heterozygous on all the others. Hmmm. Maybe I'll add a DAO enzyme again. I tried it in the past and didn't notice much but maybe with all the other stuff it will help more now. Maybe.

Who Me?

I'm thinking if getting the 88healthproducts one. On a forum someone said they took 2 a week and we're doing really well in that dose.

I think mangosteen is really helping too.

What dose are you going to take? Is that the bottle of 30?

Who Me?

I'm still deciding which way to go. That one or the one with 10,000 HDU which Swanson has.

We'll be cured! Woohoo :beaver:

Issie

The Khella doesn't work, for me. Had to go back on GastroCrom.

I am however trying an herbal mix to replace Allegra and Zantac. So far, so good. I'll post if it works.

Issie

Who Me?

Thanks for the update. I'm going to get some Daosin. I do think mangosteen is really helping me. I had been taking 475 a.m. only but I may bump it up. @Veet what dose do you take?

Issie

HNMT is the only one I'm positive on and I have a DX of MCAS. That one is an inability to break down histamine correctly, if I'm understanding it properly.

Issie

Who Me?

Just bought some Daosin from Swanson. I signed up for emails and got 10% off. Free returns for 365 days. Nothing to lose.

Veet

Do you have ideas for boosting Dao besides $$$ Dao stuff?
I may have bought one bottle of Histame, can't remember for sure. But I didn't pursue DAO further, because from what I saw, this route was about taking something w/ every questionable thing you eat. Rather, I eliminated many foods. And, the genetic markers you've mentioned demonstrate that it's about more than the foods I eat, there's something compromised about histamine breakdown altogether. One way I observed this was that when I was actively detoxxing, with the help of coffee enemas, I'd frequently experience histamine symptoms. I learned to accompany the process with footbaths containing Vit C and Calcium to help pull histamines out of the system.

A year ago, after significant detox, I was able to add back a spoonful of sauerkraut, yogurt every other day, as well as avocado. I also found FMN form of B2 further reduced my need for antihistamines. I was then able to discontinue the antihistamine supps I was using, and mast cell stabilizers as well. I've recently resumed the mc supps due to POTS.

I do think mangosteen is really helping me. I had been taking 475 a.m. only but I may bump it up. @Veet what dose do you take?
I'm only taking 1 x 600mg in AM, w/ royal jelly AM/PM.

Who Me?

I bought some Histamade 88. so we'll see. There are just some things I can't eliminate right now because of IBS-C problems.

I ate something earlier and had what I now think is a histamine response, aka pain in my left shoulder blade and a burning on my right side. I took some mangosteen and it was gone pretty quickly. I'm going to look for some tabs I can split so I'm not taking too much. I did see you can take 500 mgs x 2.

I added a small dose B6 based on that other thing I posted. I'll add some metafolin in a few days.

You are the foot bath queen.

Issie

I'm now trying to understand the paper on niacinomide the non flush form of niacin. I can't take niacin at all. Get anaphylaxis from it. Been years since I tried a supplement of it. Was not a good experience. Appears too high niacinomide can up histamine and serotonin. We need a certain amount of both to be healthy. But too much can cause issues. There are 4 known types of histamine - that can be moderated with supplements. I need to dig a little deeper into this. Anyone got more info about it? (I don't do well using an H4 blocker.)

Issie

Who Me?

Interesting thing. I've been taking mobic or an anti-inflammatory for years because of sciatic pain which is from my messed up back.

I realized a few days ago I have not had the breakthrough pain I had when I got up in the morning so I stopped taking the mobic 3 days ago. So far I have no pain. And my shoulders that were always a problem are also fine.

So something I'm doing with the histamine is helping this.

Issie

Interesting thing. I've been taking mobic or an anti-inflammatory for years because of sciatic pain which is from my messed up back.

I realized a few days ago I have not had the breakthrough pain I had when I got up in the morning so I stopped taking the mobic 3 days ago. So far I have no pain. And my shoulders that were always a problem are also fine.

So something I'm doing with the histamine is helping this.
When mast cells degranulate they release more than just histamine. They also release other things that cause a strong inflammatory response. If you slow down degranulation of the mast cells and their release of their contents it helps in so many ways......including pain.
Issie

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources