1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

How Do You Crash? An ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia Inquiry

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Cort, Sep 21, 2017.

?

An ME/CFS Crash / Fibro Flare Poll

1. Is ticked off by too much mental or physical activity

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Can come on without warning

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Occurs suddenly

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  4. Slowly ignites and gets worse over time

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  5. Increases my pain levels significantly

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. Effects my ability to think

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  7. Makes me fatigued

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  8. Makes me feel very weak and sapped

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  9. Can leave me immobilized

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  10. Makes me seek out a quiet, low stimuli environment

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  11. Generally lasts from 1-3 days

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  12. Can last a week or more

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  13. Is only significantly relieved by rest

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  14. Can be relieved by other means than rest

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

In Jen Brea's recent Refinery interview she stated

That brought to mind Julie Rehmeyer whose body responds to mold sometimes by becoming suddenly paralyzed. She literally cannot move.

I have a different way of "crashing" or, in fibro-speak "flaring" however. My crashes or flares come on gradually and worsen over time and then get better.

That made me wonder how many different types of crashes or flares there are.

Hence this poll

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Eset Isadore and Not dead yet! like this.
  2. Seven

Seven Well-Known Member

I have different type of crashes:
    1) Too much activity: this kind triggers the pain and sleep issues.
    2) Inmune is overactive: somebody in the family will break a virus a few days later. I can always predict somebody will get sick. This type triggers lymph issues, malaise, flu like.
    3) Too much inflammation: my colitis can send me into a crash. This is the type that will leave me paralyzed. Also reactions to meds and foods. This will affect sleep also. Malaise is more burning, tingling, brain symptoms like speaking, dropping everything I grab....

3. Billie

Billie New Member

There is another kind of crash: When you have life events that are difficult for anyone. I am in a big crash through the death of a
    loved older sister, who has been around all my life, she was 16 when I was born. CFS/ME and grief are very poor bedfellows. No chance
    of diversion. Yet this grief must be felt, as it is your love, but it takes its toll. Then the flu came as a diversion, and there is an epidemic
    in Australia; the thing I don't want to do is go to hospital or have a vaccine. So, face the facts, big crash, not back to square 1 which
    would be unbearable, but a big crash of all symptoms returning with a vengeance. Very hard to have any acceptance, very hard to surrender.
    It is as it is. I am submitting this to show the diversity of reasons a person would crash, and it is given in good faith, and hopefully to
    help anyone else. Billie

4. Seven

Seven Well-Known Member

1) Extra rest like adding a nap at noon, GO to bed earlier, energy boosters increase: like more COQ10 ( I will take an extra 400mg), Increase d-ribose or energy supplement.
    2) For this type I back off of all pills, and be very careful on foods, Eat bone broth. Let my immune system settle (do not add log to fire).
    3)Eat green and avoid inflammatory foods, worst case scenario, take advil every 6h.

Abrin likes this.
  5. Billie

Billie New Member

Thankyou Molly, I appreciate your understanding

MollyM likes this.
  6. Cort

Forty percent of people - crashes can come on suddenly. I think that's amazing!

Eset Isadore and Abrin like this.
  7. Cort

Sorry to hear that Billie! I'm sorry for your loss.

For whatever reason emotional stuff just takes a bigger physical toll. I am very familiar with that. Our bodies just aren't as resilient as they used to be.

Thanks for sharing that.

8. Zapped

Zapped Well-Known Member

My crashes are a kind of aura, like a migraine coming on. If I've only pushed a little too far I can hit the sofa and shut down stimuli and it will hold steady and gradually diminish, maybe later in the day, with residual.

If I have pushed too far the aura starts and progresses to an all encompassing lability, where I need sofa rest when it hits, right after efforts, and lasts from a few days to a week, plus. Maybe on second day I can walk to the mail box - and each day add a little more up time and light activity.

I would venture a SWAG that the affects of a cras are cumulative, such that I don't go back to the pre-crash state of health???

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    MollyM likes this.
  9. Homina

Homina Member

It is really hard to know when it's coming but if I am doing more than I normally consistently do and don't slow down, it comes. If I keep track I can predict I think
    But I don't feel worse before a crash I feel pretty good
    Then
    One day I wake up and there is no gas in the tank

JustAmanda and Abrin like this.
  10. JustAmanda

JustAmanda Member

Interestingly I have noticed that my PEM has followed a pattern over the years. For example currently my cognitive function will start to deteriorate, if I don't rest right away this will also affect me physically in that I become clumsy. Some hours later/during the night I'll get the next stage, the crash proper.

At one time, when I was pretty good at about 70%, the first sign a crash would come later was that my right thumb would spasm; past time to go lie down!

To some extent I can use this to avoid worse crashes. Anyone else get anything like that?

Lissa and MollyM like this.
  11. Abrin

Abrin Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone else but I know with me that adrenalin will sometimes stop me from noticing that I am slowly crashing and then when it finally happens it is like hitting a wall.

lisaadele and JustAmanda like this.
  12. Homina

Homina Member

That sounds right
    Thanks

13. Farmgirl

Farmgirl Well-Known Member

I am sometimes surprised when the crash hits, even though it happens everyday, and worse if I do more. I find it strange that it still comes as a surprise to me that I cannot move. I think there is always some far off hope that I will wake and move and live ...like most everyone else.

My husband and I laugh and when I "over-do" ...sometimes I drive myself real hard to reach a goal so I can feel "normal". He pretty much lectures me...you are gonna overdo...but I don't listen...then I am down laughing at how stupid I am!