Huffington Post Touts Forgotten Plague Film

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Jamison, a former weight lifter and personal trainer is featured in the film and article. He did a blog on Health Rising = Carrying That Weight: A Weightlifter’s Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Story - about a year and a half ago. In April of this year

Forgotten Plagues is must see TV, particularly when telling the stories from individuals diagnosed with ME/CFS.

One of the most powerful testimonies in the film is that of Jameson Hill; a bright-eyed, personable, physically fit personal trainer. When first interviewed Jameson he has been diagnosed with CFS for four years and discusses his treatment regiment and methods of coping. Although he appears slightly melancholy, his demeanor predominantly exudes hope, optimism and focus. He has a strong voice and occasionally smiles even while describing changes he has been forced to make due to the disease.

A second interview takes place eight months later and Jameson is vaguely recognizable. The immobilizing impact of CFS is apparent and Jameson acknowledged that taking even short walks are now exhausting. During the interview he is shown slouching in a chair with his feet reclined. His facial expression is tired, heavy eye lids nearly covering his eyes, his voice lowered and speaking pace dramatically reduced. Although Jameson never reported experiencing depression, his body language, tone of voice and posture indicate emotional debilitation. He has lost his job and his romantic partner due to the disease and one cannot help wondering if Jameson is also losing hope.

I added this to the comments....

Thanks for the excellent review of this film about this devastating and too often dismissed disease. As the reviewer notes in the story about Jamison HIll it can affect anyone no matter what their degree of physical health is.

Jamison was more than a personal trainer, however. He was also an avid weightlifter who was probably in the 1st percentile of fitness in the U.S..

The writer kind of subtly suggests that depression was sapping the life out of Jamison. Jamison, however, was well-equipped personally to deal with ME/CFS and judging from my interactions with him he dealt with it quite well.

What I was told happened is that Jamison suffered a severe relapse after after catching another "flu". Getting hit really hard by infections and needing long recovery periods (or never really recovering from) is not uncommon in ME/CFS. In April I was told that Jamison HIll - a young man and former weight lifter and fitness nut - is now bedbound.

That should give the health community pause.

Hello!

Sorry to say I still don't see it.

I read the Jamison Hill HR blog post from 2/14. He seems like a great guy and a great example of how hard work and determination do not prevent or cure ME/CFS. I hope he finds a treatment to get out of the bed bound stage.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Sorry to say I still don't see it.

I read the Jamison Hill HR blog post from 2/14. He seems like a great guy and a great example of how hard work and determination do not prevent or cure ME/CFS. I hope he finds a treatment to get out of the bed bound stage.
Did you click on the comments box to the left (they don't put the comments underneath their post). It still took ages for the comments to come up though - they have a kind of funky system.

Hard work and determination avails you nothing if you have a bad case of ME/CFS.

Hello!

Did you click on the comments box to the left (they don't put the comments underneath their post). It still took ages for the comments to come up though - they have a kind of funky system.

Hard work and determination avails you nothing if you have a bad case of ME/CFS.
I see 5 comments, none of them yours. Does anyone else see Cort's fabulous comment?

Hello!

They want people to stage screenings at their local movie theaters. An online system helps you find and book theaters that will participate. You pay an up front fee to show the film and then charge admission fees to recoup your costs.

This is from their Facebook page.

"We're proud to announce that our new partnership with Tugg is now LIVE! Tugg is a "theatrical-on-demand" platform that gives documentary fanbases like ours access to 90% of the movie theaters in the United States. Tugg helps you book a movie theater near your home, advertise, sell tickets, and stage a high-caliber screening to build education, advocacy, support, and awareness in your area.

You simply won't believe how easy it is. And it is unbelievably cool.
And for those outside the US or who would like to do Community Screenings of Forgotten Plague, Tugg enables screenings of the film at churches, hospitals, universities, schools, or any other community center. It's not just movie theaters. It's anywhere.

So check out our video below. And roll with us as we present a series of posts this week to help you learn about Tugg and get pumped about staging your screening to show this amazing film to your awesome friends, family, colleagues, and community at large.

Get ready to turbo-charge ME/CFS advocacy across the world with us. Things are about to switch into a very high gear!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-b1omWXH4

Forgotten Plague Tugg Announcement Video
Forgotten Plague producer and co-director Ryan Prior announces the production's plans to partner with Tugg, a revolutionary new company giving…
YOUTUBE.COM"

Who Me?

That is a very good question I am going to try and find out...

I'm aware they want to have screenings. That's great for well people and functional people. I'm neither of those.

I don't get how they expect housebound people to go out and see this? I saw if you donate $25 they send you a CD or hook you up on Netflix, Amazon or iTunes. I don't have $25.

Don't they have some plan for the worst of us? I feel like I'm being discriminated against. @Cort Can you find out how me and others like me are supposed to see this?

fdotx

I'm aware they want to have screenings. That's great for well people and functional people. I'm neither of those.

I don't get how they expect housebound people to go out and see this? I saw if you donate $25 they send you a CD or hook you up on Netflix, Amazon or iTunes. I don't have $25.

Don't they have some plan for the worst of us? I feel like I'm being discriminated against. @Cort Can you find out how me and others like me are supposed to see this?

I'd be glad to buy a copy and after watching send to someone in my country if they'd send it on to someone else but the website has no place to buy it that I see.

Who Me?

I read if you donate $25 they will send you a CD or hook you up at Amazon, Netflix, Hulu or iTunes.

I looked on iTunes and there is a movie with the same name about tuberculosis.

@fdotx good idea to have a share tree. Now I need a DVD player.

Who Me?

I found out that in order to get the DVD you had to donate to the KickStarter fund.

So how does someone who is housebound see this?

fdotx

I found out that in order to get the DVD you had to donate to the KickStarter fund.

So how does someone who is housebound see this?
Why don't they sell it, so that people can share with their family and friends? I would think that would bring more awareness than anything else.

GracieJ

I asked on the FB page about buying DVDs. It is in the works. One thing at a time. The reply said they are working on theatrical viewing first. There are plans for the DVD version. Like anything else - time and money and probably short-staffed.

Who Me?

That won't help me since I don't have a way to play it.

They were offering it to donations on iTunes. That'd work.

Short staffed and maybe short sighted.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources