Supplement Hydroxytyrosol -The Most Powerful Antioxidant (???)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Never heard of it. Anybody tried it?
Do you know which antioxidant is the most powerful? Vitamin C? Beta-carotene? Green tea? No, the world's most powerful antioxidant is something you've probably never heard of; it's a little polyphenol called hydroxytyrosol.

Hydroxytyrosol is the superstar of antioxidants - the most powerful discovered to date! It has an ORAC value (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity - its ability to absorb cell-damaging free radicals) of 68,576 - which is considered to be 15 times higher than green tea and 3 times higher than CoQ10.

It is not well-known yet because its discovery, and extensive studies of its properties, are so recent. Yet hydroxytyrosol is already being recognized by scientists for its powerful anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and cardioprotective properties.

What's So Special About Hydroxytyrosol?

Hydroxytyrosol is primarily found in the olive – its fruit, leaves and pulp. It was first discovered and extracted from the wastewater that resulted when green olives were rinsed in the process of making olive oil.

Prohealth states it's able to cross the blood: brain barrier...and it could enhance dopamine production - which could be big

Hydroxytyrosol boasts the highest level of free radical absorption activity ever reported for a natural antioxidant.

Hydroxytyrosol has some other very special characteristics that contribute to its effectiveness. It is:

• Rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and tissues, where it can perform its free radical scavenging duties.

• The only phenol that is able to cross the blood-brain barrier, which allows it to also absorb free radicals throughout the central nervous system.

• A metabolite of the neurotransmitter dopamine, which means it may play a role in neuroprotection.

• Both fat and water soluble, giving it the highest bioavailability of any antioxidant.​

San Diego

It is olive leaf extract, but instead of being standardized for oleuropein (many olive leaf extract supplements) it is standardized for hydroxytyrosol. Because it is a major component of olive oil, wouldn't it just be easier to use olive oil and get all the components, whether "discovered" or not?

But maybe that's just me and my "I've spent too much money on supplements that do nothing" bias! :D

Who Me?

Lauricidin is from olive oil so where does that fit in?

I can't take OLE or lauricidin (minolaurin)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It is olive leaf extract, but instead of being standardized for oleuropein (many olive leaf extract supplements) it is standardized for hydroxytyrosol. Because it is a major component of olive oil, wouldn't it just be easier to use olive oil and get all the components, whether "discovered" or not?

But maybe that's just me and my "I've spent too much money on supplements that do nothing" bias! :D

Thanks for explaining that.... I remember that the great conductor Toscanini solved his near disabling case of "baton arm" with olive oil.....o_O. I can't remember how he did it but olive oil was a the crucial component. I imagine he loved that - coming from Italy.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources