Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
De Meirleir has said that oxygen therapy helps but you have to keep doing it for it to keep working (an expensive proposition). It makes sense to me that more oxygen could help. I couldn't afford it but has anyone tried it?
The study is here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15174219The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) carried out a randomized controlled studyfor evaluating HBOT’s effect on Fibromyalgia Syndrome (Control group: n = 24; HBOT group: n = 26). Pain threshold and tender points were noted prior to and after the 1st and 15th HBOT sessions. The scoring of pain was also done on a VAS (Visual Analogue Scale).
After the 1st and 15th sessions of the therapy, a significant decrease was found in the VAS scores and tender points, and a considerable increase was seen in the pain threshold, in case of the HBOT group. Moreover, after the 1st therapy session, a considerable difference was there between the control group and the HBOT group for all parameters, excluding the VAS scores. So, it can be concluded that HBOT is effective and beneficial in treatment and management of FMS.
Advantages of using HBOT in FMS:
So, the study here shows that Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can be a suitable treatment option for Fibromyalgia Syndrome. The therapy needs to be studied further to find out how it helps in FMS.
- Increased supply of oxygen to all tissues in the body, leading to curing of hypoxia
- Improved metabolism of oxygen, and elimination of metabolic products along with other toxins
- Reduced swelling and inflammation
- Improved heart functioning, digestive system functioning and autonomic functions of nervous system
- Improved circulation of lymph and blood
- Improved range of motion of joints and enhanced flexibility
- Decreased neurological deficit (muscle weakness, numbness and tingling)
- Relieved pain and muscle spasm
- Decreased muscle fatigue and enhanced capacity of exercise
- Decreased physical and mental stress
- Improvement in immune system response