Hypoxia and Mitochondria.

Remy

Administrator
This is interesting!

The article talks about how low oxygen states are helpful for mitochondrial diseases...basically it helps mitigate (wait for it!) oxidative stress but the cost is less energy.

Mootha’s group is still trying to understand why hypoxia helped animals with a version of mitochondrial disease. “It is so counterintuitive. It is truly novel, and with the animal model … it’s absolutely dramatic,” Stacpoole says. One possibility Mootha cites is that while hypoxia inhibits the production of much-needed ATP, it also blunts production of free radicals, harmful molecules that can damage tissues and may cause problems in children with mitochondrial diseases. Another the group is considering is that hypoxia activates alternative ATP production pathways that help the organism function normally.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is interesting!

The article talks about how low oxygen states are helpful for mitochondrial diseases...basically it helps mitigate (wait for it!) oxidative stress but the cost is less energy.
You know that sounds VERY Cheney-like. He used to think our bodies were kept in low energy state in order to stop damage from oxidative stress...ME/CFS, in other words, was a protective mechanism. I think he would love this...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources