Ibudilast Mentioned by Drs Younger and VanElzakker.

Remy

Administrator
Ibudilast is an anti-inflammatory drug, specifically a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, that has been studied fairly extensively in Asia for all sorts of things. These conditions include asthma, stroke, brain inflammation, and other related diseases.

Both Dr Younger and Dr VanElzakker have mentioned ibudilast in their webinars recently so I got curious. It's widely available on the Internet. I thought there was a supplement company making it here in the US for a while as well but I'm either wrong or it's been banned.

Anyway, ibudilast is meant to be very good at fighting microglial inflammation.

Luteolin is an herbal supplement that also works as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. Luteolin has also been mentioned by Dr Younger, and is in the supplement created by Dr Theoharides called Neuro-Protek.

So I ordered some up because I can't let a good supplement go untried...but I'm curious if anyone else has tried this one? If so, did it help?

http://www.metabolicalchemy.com/ibudilast-kicks-inflammation-in-the-ass/

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Ibudilast is an anti-inflammatory drug, specifically a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, that has been studied fairly extensively in Asia for all sorts of things. These conditions include asthma, stroke, brain inflammation, and other related diseases.

Both Dr Younger and Dr VanElzakker have mentioned ibudilast in their webinars recently so I got curious. It's widely available on the Internet. I thought there was a supplement company making it here in the US for a while as well but I'm either wrong or it's been banned.

Anyway, ibudilast is meant to be very good at fighting microglial inflammation.

Luteolin is an herbal supplement that also works as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. Luteolin has also been mentioned by Dr Younger, and is in the supplement created by Dr Theoharides called Neuro-Protek.

So I ordered some up because I can't let a good supplement go untried...but I'm curious if anyone else has tried this one? If so, did it help?

http://www.metabolicalchemy.com/ibudilast-kicks-inflammation-in-the-ass/
Thanks. I didn't know it was a supplement and not a drug. It looks good:

Collectively, these data demonstrate that ibudilast, a safe and well-tolerated glial cell modulator, attenuates gliosis, decreases levels of proinflammatory mediators, and enhances neuronal viability in glaucoma through activation of the cAMP/PKA pathway. This study provides insight into PDE4 signaling as a potential target to counter the harmful effects associated with chronic gliosis and neuroinflammation in glaucoma.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27163643

Mouse study suggests it may be able to help with allodynia

Indeed, the phosphodiesterase inhibitor propentofylline, the macrophage migration inhibitory factor inhibitor ibudilast, and the toll-like receptor 4 antagonist (+)-naltrexone each reversed below-level allodynia bilaterally. Strikingly, none of these impacted spinal neuropathic avulsion pain upon first administration but required 1 to 2 weeks of daily administration before pain reversal was obtained. Given reversal of CNP by each of these glial modulatory agents, these results suggest that glia contribute to the maintenance of such pain and enduring release of macrophage migration inhibitory factor and endogenous agonists of toll-like receptor 4 is important for sustaining CNP. The markedly delayed efficacy of all 3 glial modulatory drugs may prove instructive for interpretation of apparent drug failures after shorter dosing regimens.
PERSPECTIVE:

CNP that develops after trauma is often described by patients as severe and intolerable. Unfortunately, current treatments are not effective. This work suggests that using pharmacologic treatments that target glial cells could be an effective clinical treatment for CNP.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24412802

Remy

Administrator
I didn't know it was a supplement and not a drug
I use those terms pretty loosely...supplements are things that don't come through my doctor, drugs are things that do. ;)

But I think ibudilast could technically be considered a drug.

Who Me?

image.jpeg

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources