Immunomodulatory Drugs Proposed for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Italian paper asserts E/CFS is an inflammatory disorder and proposes specific immunomodulators affecting toll-like receptors are a promising treatment avenue. (I'm pretty sure Ampligen is a TLR acting drug.)

CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2015 Mar 25. [Epub ahead of print] The Role of Toll-like Receptors in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: A New Promising Therapeutic Approach Gambuzza ME1, Salmeri FM, Soraci L, Soraci G, Sofo V, Marino S, Bramanti P.
Perturbations in immune processes play an important role in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME), a multifactorial disorder mainly characterized by severe and prolonged fatigue and tipically affecting a variety of bodily systems including the immune system.

Recent reports have shown that CFS/ME is an inflammatory disorder may be associated with autoimmune responses, mainly characterized by reduced functional activity of most immune cells, including neutrophils, natural killer cells, monocytes/macrophage and dendritic cells, together with dysregulations in cytokine levels, responsible for changes in the adaptive immune system. Interactions between gut microorganisms and host immune function have been shown to contribute to aberrant inflammation in CFS/ME patients.
 Commensal and/or pathogen-associated molecular patterns detected by Toll-like receptors (TLRs) expressed on intestinal epithelial cells appear to trigger inflammatory signaling cascade leading to neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration.

This paper examines the role of TLR-mediated innate immunity in CFS/ME with evaluation of the current literature, also discussing about innovative therapeutic approaches represented by immunomodulators TLR-targeting.

Issie

AutoImmune system, inflammation and Mast cell dysfunction. Nice that science is figuring it out. It's what I've found to be true for me.

Issie

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources