Introduction - the October effect

Not dead yet!

PS: I didn't realize when I chose the name that it refers to a disability campaign. I was referring to the Monty Python skit.

Hi I'm new here and I don't go on forums much, but I do read things and whenever I see some nebulous illness or other, I always think "ok, but what do people REALLY do for it?" I'm a born contrarian, which is both good and bad. Example: I use Potassium Sorbate as a douche for a vaginal yeast infection. Hey it works. I probably got it from some sisters blog or other.

Lately my problems have been much more serious than yeast infections. I was always easy to stress out, but that was because I was one of those obsessed people who can't just get a job and go home at 4:30 and forget it until the next day. I didn't realize the predictable crash in energy levels was part of a pattern until much later.

The crashing I was always trying to elude kept getting worse until I had some diagnoses typical of CFS/ME and FM.. chronic pain, migraines, PCOS, photophobia occipetal neuralgia, blood clots. I had an excellent career in IT where I felt useful and had a knack for solving problems in a new way. IT welcomes contrarians (unless you work someplace where they have "change control").

To make a long story short, I'm still trying to guess what the trigger was, but it might be that my system was never strong since I have a long history of serious illness since I was 4 years old.

Last year I told my new doctor about the "October effect" which is that my issues always get much worse in October or thereabout. This past year it was horrible. It started with a yeast infection, then several courses of antibiotics for a choking cough that looked microbial, then I broke out in some mouth spots that I know come from a herpes virus, so I was on Acyclovir for a while (they gave me that but it doesn't work well). Eventually a fluoroquinolone beat it into submission.

Subsequently I was tested for some types of Herpes viruses. I have both EBV and CMV and my Igg is high out of range on both. So we assumed I had chronic mono, which quickly led me to CFS and then ME/CFS publications. My sympathetic doctor has me on a 3 month regimen of Valcyclovir which helps a bit, and is obviously justified in my case. My insurance though, disagrees so I pay out of pocket for a local pharmacy to order it for me at around $55/mo.

I don't have an official diagnosis, nor do I think is there a gold standard of diagnosis (is there?). But the clues are there. I can't drink alcohol without getting very sick, I get better with saline IV drip (but I don't have orthostatic issues, it helps with pain), I get wiped out for weeks after cardio exercise. Etc.

Many things were made clearer to me when I read "Plague" by Mikovitz and Heckenlively. Even though I didn't recognize this issue until recently, I was impressed by Judy Mikovitz when I first saw her in WIRED magazine under the title "The virus hunter." I think she is right and we're just looking at a hissy fit by the med establishment. I was genuinely interested in her plight and read all I could about it just as a story about science. I never dreamed I'd be in this situation myself.

So here I am. And very thankful that research continues.

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
Hi I'm new here and I don't go on forums much, but I do read things and whenever I see some nebulous illness or other, I always think "ok, but what do people REALLY do for it?" I'm a born contrarian, which is both good and bad. Example: I use Potassium Sorbate as a douche for a vaginal yeast infection. Hey it works. I probably got it from some sisters blog or other.

Lately my problems have been much more serious than yeast infections. I was always easy to stress out, but that was because I was one of those obsessed people who can't just get a job and go home at 4:30 and forget it until the next day. I didn't realize the predictable crash in energy levels was part of a pattern until much later.

The crashing I was always trying to elude kept getting worse until I had some diagnoses typical of CFS/ME and FM.. chronic pain, migraines, PCOS, photophobia occipetal neuralgia, blood clots. I had an excellent career in IT where I felt useful and had a knack for solving problems in a new way. IT welcomes contrarians (unless you work someplace where they have "change control").

To make a long story short, I'm still trying to guess what the trigger was, but it might be that my system was never strong since I have a long history of serious illness since I was 4 years old.

Last year I told my new doctor about the "October effect" which is that my issues always get much worse in October or thereabout. This past year it was horrible. It started with a yeast infection, then several courses of antibiotics for a choking cough that looked microbial, then I broke out in some mouth spots that I know come from a herpes virus, so I was on Acyclovir for a while (they gave me that but it doesn't work well). Eventually a fluoroquinolone beat it into submission.

Subsequently I was tested for some types of Herpes viruses. I have both EBV and CMV and my Igg is high out of range on both. So we assumed I had chronic mono, which quickly led me to CFS and then ME/CFS publications. My sympathetic doctor has me on a 3 month regimen of Valcyclovir which helps a bit, and is obviously justified in my case. My insurance though, disagrees so I pay out of pocket for a local pharmacy to order it for me at around $55/mo.

I don't have an official diagnosis, nor do I think is there a gold standard of diagnosis (is there?). But the clues are there. I can't drink alcohol without getting very sick, I get better with saline IV drip (but I don't have orthostatic issues, it helps with pain), I get wiped out for weeks after cardio exercise. Etc.

Many things were made clearer to me when I read "Plague" by Mikovitz and Heckenlively. Even though I didn't recognize this issue until recently, I was impressed by Judy Mikovitz when I first saw her in WIRED magazine under the title "The virus hunter." I think she is right and we're just looking at a hissy fit by the med establishment. I was genuinely interested in her plight and read all I could about it just as a story about science. I never dreamed I'd be in this situation myself.

So here I am. And very thankful that research continues.
Welcome! Thank you for introducing yourself. I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation too but I hope you can find some helpful resources and people here!

Not dead yet!

Welcome! Thank you for introducing yourself. I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation too but I hope you can find some helpful resources and people here!

Thank you, I have a lot to learn and I'm sorry anyone has to go through this, especially without treatment or answers. I honestly can't think of a better way to torture me than to take away my work and ability to exercise. It's unbelievable to me that some people actually think people would fake it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources