Is It Safe For ME/CFS Patients To Take Aspirin?

Judy

Given our OI and POTS stuff, and etc. stuff, how about taking aspirin temporarily?

Not that I expect it to work on my lower back injury, because I've already tried Motrin, Aleve, and Tylenol and they didn't touch the pain.

It's been a week with this pain and it's not lessening. I use hot wraps and Nikken magnets to get temporary relief.

It just popped into my head to try aspirin.

Thoughts?

Thanks muchly, Judy

Veet

I don't have an answer for you. But I get terrific results from NOW celery extract for all manner of inflammation, including low back. good luck.

Remy

Administrator
I don't think aspirin is generally contraindicated in MECFS. In fact, if you follow Ray Peat, it's practically the cure for all ills.

I take aspirin quite frequently for prostaglandin inhibition but I don't find it all that helpful for pain, unfortunately.

I would also get some Lidoderm patches from your doctor. They are like a miracle for me when my back goes out.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Given our OI and POTS stuff, and etc. stuff, how about taking aspirin temporarily?

Not that I expect it to work on my lower back injury, because I've already tried Motrin, Aleve, and Tylenol and they didn't touch the pain.

It's been a week with this pain and it's not lessening. I use hot wraps and Nikken magnets to get temporary relief.

It just popped into my head to try aspirin.

Thoughts?

Thanks muchly, Judy
I've never heard "nay" to aspirin with ME/CFS/FM. Aspirin can cause small amounts of stomach bleeding in some people - other people it doesn't seem to bother at all. I would be surprised if that would be a problem if it was taken temporarily.

I have no idea about its effects on OI or POTS - interesting question.

I would go for it...maybe it's the kind of anti-inflammatory that your body will respond to.

Judy

I don't have an answer for you. But I get terrific results from NOW celery extract for all manner of inflammation, including low back. good luck.
What a great idea to try! I take NOW D-Mannose for urinary tract and bladder health. It also fixes UTIs. So, yay! No antibiotics needed!
Thank you for the tip, @Veet !

Judy

I don't think aspirin is generally contraindicated in MECFS. In fact, if you follow Ray Peat, it's practically the cure for all ills.

I take aspirin quite frequently for prostaglandin inhibition but I don't find it all that helpful for pain, unfortunately.

I would also get some Lidoderm patches from your doctor. They are like a miracle for me when my back goes out.
Thank you, @Remy ! I will make a note of it!

Judy

I've never heard "nay" to aspirin with ME/CFS/FM. Aspirin can cause small amounts of stomach bleeding in some people - other people it doesn't seem to bother at all. I would be surprised if that would be a problem if it was taken temporarily.

I have no idea about its effects on OI or POTS - interesting question.

I would go for it...maybe it's the kind of anti-inflammatory that your body will respond to.
I read that it's a blood-thinner and that's what made me question it. ...Good ole old-fashioned aspirin though eh! What a concept!

...I sent my helpful daughter to the store to get me some baby aspirin. I dissolved 8 (max dose) under my tongue for faster absorption. Guess what? It's HELPING! Woot!

Judy

So, YAY, it's working! Yummy baby aspirin dissolved under the tongue for faster absorption and easier on the tummy. :D
If only it had popped into my head to try it a week ago!! :eek:

Cort

Staff member
So, YAY, it's working! Yummy baby aspirin dissolved under the tongue for faster absorption and easier on the tummy. :D
If only it had popped into my head to try it a week ago!! :eek:
Cool!

Cort

Staff member
I read that it's a blood-thinner and that's what made me question it. ...Good ole old-fashioned aspirin though eh! What a concept!

...I sent my helpful daughter to the store to get me some baby aspirin. I dissolved 8 (max dose) under my tongue for faster absorption. Guess what? It's HELPING! Woot!

I was thinking about that as well. Dr. Holtorf, however, finds that heparin can be very helpful with his ME/CFS patients. A guy some years found evidence of thickened blood in ME/CFS and he recommended heparin.

Remy

Administrator
I was thinking about that as well. Dr. Holtorf, however, finds that heparin can be very helpful with his ME/CFS patients. A guy some years found evidence of thickened blood in ME/CFS and he recommended heparin.
And yet heparin is often increased in people with MCAS...I tried low dose heparin injections and they made me feel much dizzier and more fatigued.

The good news is that it is short acting so can be easily trialed.

Horizon

I think it's likely fine unless you already have existing GI issues. It's definitely contraindicated for GI diseases like Inflammatory Bowel Disease because of the increased risk of bleeding and ulceration.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources